Reports to: Manager of Corporate Accounting
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: July 14, 2017
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
The Corporate Accountant position is responsible for accounts payable, expense reimbursements and other accounting functions. This will include company credit card reconciliation, bank reconciliation not pertaining to operating account, allocation entries, and reconciling recurring journal entries. The Corporate Accountant will also provide support to other finance team members and the organization at large as needed.
Accounts payable and expense reimbursement
- Process, code, input and reconcile accounts payable which include: vendor invoices, employee company card and expense reimbursements through Concur
- Preparation of the annual 1099 forms to vendors.
- Upload of annually updated per diem rates into Concur.
- Communicate with staff regarding their requests and inquiries related to accounts payable, expense reimbursements and travel guidance.
- Assist with month end close reconciliations and reconciling recurring entries.
- Prepare monthly allocation entries.
- Perform all non-operating bank reconciliations.
- Fixed assets and inventory
- Help perform a variety of regular and recurring accounting functions.
- Assist with the preparation of supporting annual audit work papers.
- Assist with internal audits of procedures throughout the organization.
- Perform ad-hoc reporting and special projects as assigned.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or other related field required
- 2+ years of professional experience preferred
- Proficient in accounting and expense reimbursement systems with experience in Financial Edge and/or Concur preferred
- Must be skilled in Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel
- Relevant nonprofit experience a plus
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.