Accountant - Indonesia
Category: Full-time / Fixed Term Contract
Reports to: Operations Director
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Effective: Nov. 1, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Accountant will support Water.org’s Indonesia Country leadership with a variety of business services such as financial reporting, accounting, bookkeeping, and related tasks. In addition, this position will work in close collaboration with the US-based Finance Department to ensure that the finance functions within Water.org Indonesia operate efficiently and align with the centralized global finance vision.
The Accountant reports to the Sr Director of Operations for Water.org Indonesia, with indirect reporting to the US-based International Accountant. This position will be based in Jakarta.
- Demonstrates best accounting practices for Water.org Indonesia.
- Performs multiple complex accounting reconciliations.
- Administers and reconciles travel & expenses.
- Fixed Asset administration and reconciliation.
- Carries out financial performance and analysis; such as budget variance reporting and projections.
- Track the quality of Water.org Indonesia’s portfolio of guaranteed loans.
- Maintain adequate financial records and files.
- Monitor implementation of financial controls and organization-wide accounting standards.
- Performs payroll confirmation and reconciliations. Maintains confidentiality with sensitive payroll information.
- Coordinate with audit firm to assist and complete external and internal audits. Liasing with both external auditors and the US-based International Accountant on audit status and results.
- Maintains & enters daily transactions into the General Ledger through Quickbooks, the accounting system currently used for Water.org Indonesia.
- Other finance-related duties as assigned.
Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- A 4-year Undergraduate level degree in Accounting. Professional designation preferred
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience.
- Strong working knowledge of Indonesia accounting principles and best practices.
- Experience and working knowledge with cloud based accounting & expense platforms.
- Strong working knowledge of collaboration software tools. Microsoft Office 365 suite preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Bahasa and English.
- Strong knowledge on Indonesian financial accounting standards (IFAS)
Up to 5% of time
Salary and benefits
This is a contract-based position with competitive compensation.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.