Accountant - Philippines
Category: Full-time / Fixed Term Contract
Reports to: Philippines Country Director
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Effective: Nov. 1, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and families a future.
The Accountant will support Water.org’s Philippines Country leadership with a variety of business services such as financial reporting, accounting, bookkeeping, & related tasks. In addition, this position will work in close collaboration with the US-based Finance Department to ensure that the finance functions within Water.org Philippines operate efficiently and align with the centralized global finance vision.
This position reports to the Philippines Country Director, with indirect reporting to the US-based International Accountant. This position is based in Pasig City, Metro Manila.
- Demonstrates best accounting practices for Water.org Philippines office.
- Performs multiple complex accounting reconciliations.
- Administers and reconciles travel & expense administration.
- Fixed Asset administration and reconciliation.
- Carries out financial performance and analysis; such as budget variance reporting.
- Perform payroll confirmation and reconciliations. Maintains confidentiality with sensitive payroll information.
- Coordinate with audit firm -to assist and complete external and internal audits. Liaising with both the external auditors and the US-based International Accountant on audit status and results.
- Maintain & enter daily transactions into the General Ledger through Quickbooks, the accounting system currently used for Water.org Philippines.
- Other finance-related duties as assigned.
Management responsibilityIndividual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- A 4-year Undergraduate level degree in Accounting. Professional designation preferred
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience.
- Strong working knowledge of Philippine Taxations laws and practices and General Accounting.
- Experience and working knowledge with cloud based accounting & expense platforms.
- Strong working knowledge of collaboration software tools. Microsoft Office 365 suite preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Tagalog and English.
- Strong knowledge on Philippine financial reporting & accounting standards (PAS) (PFRS).
- Preferably a member of PICPA (the national association of accountants).
Up to 5% of time