Business Analyst - Technology
Reports to: Director of Technology
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: Nov. 8, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and families a future.
The Business Analyst's role is to elicit, analyze, and validate the business needs of stakeholders across the organization, and ensure business value across the portfolio of technology solutions at Water.org. This individual will additionally fulfill product owner and project manager responsibilities for key enterprise and custom developed solutions. Water.org’s Product Owner / Business Analyst reports to the Director of Technology and works closely with many departments, especially the International Programs and Strategic Alliances teams. This position will be based in Kansas City, MO (headquarters).
Strategy and Planning
- Collaborate with project sponsors to determine project scope and vision.
- Clearly identify project stakeholders and establish user classes, as well as their characteristics.
- Conduct interviews to gather user requirements via workshops, questionnaires, surveys, site visits, workflow storyboards, use cases scenarios and other methods.
- Identify and establish scope and parameters of requirements analysis on a project-by-project basis to define project impact, outcome criteria and metrics.
- Work with stakeholders and project team to prioritize collected requirements.
- Research, review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing requirements-gathering processes and develop strategies for enhancing or further leveraging these processes.
- Determine course of action to meet requirements outlined by key stakeholders via cost benefit analysis, future proofing, and other assessment perspectives.
- Steers the project to ensure delivery of business value.
- Ensure day to day requirements continue to be met and are not sacrificed for new development.
- Assist in conducting research on software and hardware purchases to meet agreed upon requirements and to support purchasing efforts.
- Works within the agile process and is the final authority for decisions regarding priority, business value and functionality for all the work done by the development team.
- Oversees the development team including internal and external resources.
- Translates conceptual user requirements into functional and technical requirements in a clear manner that is comprehensible to developers and the project team.
- Manage and track the status of requirements throughout the project lifecycle; enforce and redefine as necessary.
- Create process models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to developers and/or the project team.
Development and Onboarding
- Creates, maintains, prioritizes and sequences the product backlog based on business value or ROI.
- Converts functional requirements into user stories and technical requirements then prioritizes based on business value.
- Decides which user stories are scheduled into sprints.
- Leads project planning, scrums, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning, demos and other scrum related meetings.
- Where applicable, develop prototypes of interfaces and attributes based on the user requirements.
- Role will oversee and facilitate user training for the enterprise and custom solutions when applicable.
as a project manager. Among
responsibilities is management of a project team. The individuals comprising this team may vary
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science, information systems or business administration or related field.
- 5+ years related work experience and 2 or more years of project management experience.
- Thorough understanding of agile software development methodologies, values and procedures.
- Thorough understanding of software development lifecycle.
- In-depth knowledge of testing practices and techniques.
- Proven experience with business and technical requirement analysis, elicitation, modeling, verification and methodology development.
- Experience overseeing the design, development and implementation of software and hardware solutions, systems or products.
- Ability to create systematic and consistent requirements specifications in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Demonstrated project management skills including planning, organizing and managing resources.
Travel is not required for this role.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.