Business Continuity Specialist
Reports to: Manager of Business Continuity
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: April 2, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Business Continuity Specialist will have a primary focus on security intelligence and global physical security issues, including, but not limited to intelligence assessments, security reviews, and networking with internal and external consultants. This position will be expected to utilize internal processes and external tools to identify real or potential risks relevant to the safety and security of the regions where we work. Support of ongoing processes will entail maintaining a broad range of corporate security initiatives while participating in the planning, analyzing and implementation of solutions to support Water.org’s business continuity objectives.
Global Safety + Security Support
- Continuously monitor events in real-time through internal and external tools and platforms to identify developing real or potential safety and security incidents in the regions where we work.
- Accurately synthesize emerging and developing information, communicate actionable intelligence, contribute to travel risk and threat assessment processes, and provide support during security incidents.
- Evaluate and assess identified incidents for real or potential impact to business operations.
- Synthesize data and compose accurate and timely communications, disseminate according to established procedures to notify relevant stakeholders.
- Compile and internally disseminate regular security bulletins.
- Contribute to security threat assessments for facilities and travel.
Business Continuity Systems
- Assist company personnel in identifying and meeting requirements for travel.
- Accountable for ensuring that internal safety and security programs and strategies are effectively implemented and maintained under the department’s purview.
- Develop, implement, and communicate information regarding security standards, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare and document standard operating procedures and protocols.
- Manage international shipping for organizational documents and assets.
Administrative Duties / Facilities
- Facilities management.
- Vendor relationship manager for US offices.
- Office supply and equipment management.
- Oversee compliance with safety policies and procedures.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity - Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, International Affairs, Political Science or a related field.
- 3-5 years’ experience in travel security, security intelligence and operations.
- Ability to prioritize competing tasks.
- Strong detail orientated and organization skills.
- Ability to work independently and exercise strong professional discretion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint & Excel required.
- Handles complex situations with a positive attitude.
- Experience in risk management or within the security industry strongly preferred.
- This position will require travel occasionally to Water.org locations and places of interest, approximately 5% of time.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.