Compensation & Benefits Expert
Reports to: Senior HR Generalist
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: Aug. 1, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Compensation & Benefits Expert within the Human Resources team is primarily responsible for the development, leadership and administration of Water.org’s global compensation and benefits programs. This position will proactively develop new solutions to evolve our global total rewards philosophy and will be responsible for executing both strategic and operational efficiencies to ensure Water.org is and remains a stimulating, rewarding and innovative place to work. S/he will perform expert level, HR duties in a fast-paced environment by working closely with team members and organizational leaders in support of a rapidly growing, global workforce.
The Compensation & Benefits Expert is based in Kansas City, MO.
Employee Benefits (50%)
Plan, design and evaluate all aspects of Water.org’s employee benefit plans, programs and renewals by collaborating with HR Management, benefits insurance brokers and third-party account representatives.
- Manage day-to-day benefit plans including: medical, dental, vision, life, disability and 401(k) plans
- Collaborate with Finance/Payroll to ensure accuracy of benefit deductions/earnings codes, invoice payments and reconciliation of premiums
- Develop portfolios of benefit plan documents, forms and communication strategy to build staff knowledge and a culture of physical/financial wellness.
- Maintain repository of key benefit plan information and data; ensuring relevance, accuracy, and accessibility.
- Ensure operational practices comply with state and federal laws, including COBRA, ACA guidelines and 1095-C reporting
- Lead and manage Open Enrollment with understanding of various benefit plan policies; refer to broker and/or plan carriers for escalated support as necessary
- Identify best practices, benchmarks, and develop recommendations that will support operational improvements.
- Provide benefits related expertise, implementation support, and management for HRIS and all relevant systems.
Compensation Management (50%)
In alignment with Water.org’s compensation philosophy, evaluate, design, and implement a variety of US and global compensation programs and practices that enable the attraction and retention of top talent around the world.
- Lead bi-annual cadence of US and global market pricing analysis and participate in compensation surveys.
- Analyze, design and administer global compensation programs, including base and incentive pay practices
- Manage and develop new systems and reporting mechanisms for evaluating, benchmarking compiling, preparing and presenting compensation data
- Review and recommend global new hire and off cycle salary increase recommendations
- Ensure changes to compensation practices are documented and communicated to appropriate stakeholders
- Keep apprised of country, federal, state and local pay regulations to ensure compliance.
- Source, research, and recommend appropriate survey providers for all Water.org offices; including analysis of base compensation structures, incentive plans, and position “grade” ranges.
- Provide compensation related expertise, implementation support, and management for HRIS and all relevant systems.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
- Internally interfaces with managers and team members throughout the organization
- External interfaces require substantial vendor relationship management
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Builds Networks – Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Human Resources
- Progressive experience and knowledge of HR, financial and operational principles
- 10+ years of demonstrated compensation and benefits expertise, specifically including 5+ years of analysis, design and execution of compensation programs and 5+ years managing and administering benefits
- Knowledge of federal, state and local regulations, and legislation that impacts compensation/pay/employee benefits
- In-depth project management skills with experience managing multiple initiatives with varying deadlines.
- Advanced analytical ability with technical proficiency in spreadsheets and information systems (Microsoft 365, SharePoint, Excel, file integrations)
- Basic working knowledge of HRIS is required; advanced skills utilizing an HRIS is a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, evolving work environment while managing independent workload and juggling multiple priorities
- Experience with global total rewards preferred
- CBP, CCP or GRP preferred
- Minimal travel required. Up to 5%.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.