Corporate Accountant, Accounts Payable
Reports to: Finance Director, Headquarter Accounting & Operations
Location: Kansas City, MO or US – Remote
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Corporate Accountant, Accounts Payable, within the Finance department is primarily responsible for processing accounts payable including general ledger and project coding and reconciliation, ensuring payment terms are met and vendor information is complete and up to date to ensure payments and 1099 forms can be processed without error. Payments will be made via ACH, check and wire transfer which will require confirming we are current with changing requirements.
Reporting to the Finance Director, Headquarter Accounting & Operations, this individual will work with other members of the Headquarter Accounting & Operations team to ensure timely and accurate recording of information, compliance with established standards, procedures, and applicable laws.
HQ Accounts Payable (100%)
Manage implementation of HQ accounts payable processes, ensuring compliance with standing policies, limits outlined in the Delegation of Authority as well as ensuring any payment made meets organizational and accounting requirements and standards, including, but not limited to:
- Process, code, input and reconcile accounts payable invoices on a regular schedule, including entry to general ledger with proper coding.
- Prepare and record journal entries of payments.
- Maintain vendor records with current payment details, W-9’s, and general information (name, address, tax IDs, etc.).
- Issue annual 1099 forms to vendors.
- Act as process owner for the wire transfer and ACH payment processes, ensuring governance of the process and compliance with any related requirements and policies.
- Lead implementation of wire transfer submissions, ensuring appropriate delegation of authority for approval of wire transfer.
- Initiate wire transfers and ACH within the banking system. Verify information is complete and proper approvals, in compliance with the Delegation of Authority, are in place.
- Ensure approvals within the banking system are completed in time and wires are confirmed.
- Prepare and record entries within the vendor records in the accounting system with the payment details, including proper coding.
- Responsible for overseeing Concur AP, T&E-related expenses management and month-end reconciliation processes.
- Review and ensure invoices are correct and appropriately resolve any errors.
- Ensure accuracy of vendor payment information is up to date and accurate.
- Ensures process and transactions meet organization’s risk management standards.
- Serve as a back-up for semi-monthly payroll processing function and other duties, as needed.
- May support ad hoc working groups and/or projects, as needed.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of scope, stakeholders and linkages for every project, duty or responsibility but is intended to highlight internal or external processes, functions and jobs/roles that are expected to regularly interact with this position to deliver work. Scope may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Financial Acumen – Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field and/or related equivalent working experience.
- At least five years of proven accounting experience with emphasis on accounts payable management, including:
- Proficient with financial accounting standards, principles, and methodologies.
- Impeccable integrity and attention to detail.
- Deep foundational knowledge of account payment process management and risk management.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, proficient Excel, and database management.
- Proficiency in English (written and verbal).
- Financial Edge general ledger software experience.
- Experience working in Concur with expense and invoicing.
- Up to 5% of domestic travel.
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers country-specific benefits and market-based, competitive salary; as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.