Country Manager - Cambodia
Reports to: Regional Director, Southeast Asia
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
Water.org seeks an outstanding candidate as Country Manager for Cambodia who will drive significant impact and help transform lives. The candidate should have at least 7 years of leadership experience or Country Manager role with demonstrated ability to lead teams as well as develop and execute country strategy. S/he will lead execution of a multi-year country strategy, building and sustaining partnerships that: 1) mobilize capital for water supply and sanitation (WSS) for those in need, and 2) serve low-income households with innovative and affordable water and sanitation services (WSS) at scale. S/he represents Water.org and its interests with government, business, and sector leaders in country, promoting change that will help realize our impact.
The Country Manager reports to the Regional Director for Southeast Asia and is responsible for overall management of the country office, including oversight of operations, finance, and administrative functions, as applicable. S/he will build a small team in Cambodia that is equipped and supported to rapidly scale impact from partnerships and related initiatives. The Country Manager will be responsible to ensure adequate systems for capturing learning and emerging practices to test and validate internal and external innovation.
The Country Manager, Cambodia is based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Partnership & Business Development (35%)
Oversee development, execution, and sustained growth of key partnerships and priorities for impact in country and in the region, as requested. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Cultivate and expand direct and collaborating partnerships with an array of key financial institutions, water utilities, policy and regulatory bodies as well as multilateral organizations in Cambodia to unlock and deploy new sources of capital and new service provision for water and sanitation.
- Identify, negotiate, and implement business development activities, creating near- and long-term value for the organization.
- Contribute to design of new grants and programs, as applicable.
- Identify feasible potential financial institutions and water supply / sanitation providers interested in debt/equity investment, credit enhancements, and public/private investment partnerships among existing and new potential partners.
- Ensure integration of Water.org global standards and practices into all aspects of work.
Team Leadership (25%)
Manage workforce in Cambodia, ensuring global standards and policies related to recruitment, staff compensation, performance management, and talent development are integrated into country-level people management practices and outcomes. Define and build the team personnel and functions needed to attain success. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead, manage, develop and inspire a high-performing team, with appropriate levels of delegated authority, guidance and role clarity.
- Maintain adequate staffing levels in accordance with approved budget. Contract with consultants as needed to temporarily fill staffing gaps.
- Establish and maintain an empowering, productive, and collaborative environment for staff by providing clear performance goals, feedback on job performance, organizing team meetings and retreats, and working with individual direct reports to set and achieve professional development goals.
- Develop and/or enhance best practices for in-county recruitment, job training, and onboarding processes to ensure acquisition and retention of top talent.
Strategy Execution (20%)
Demonstrate a personal drive for and embodiment of Water.org’s mission and leadership values that motivates and mobilizes effort to rapidly scale impact. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide overall direction for the execution of the country strategy and integration across all areas of Water.org’s work in-country.
- Support enhancement of Water.org’s brand and reputation as a thought leader in Cambodia. This could include serving as the primary representative of Water.org to key government, media, enabling partners, and other influencers as well as contributing to building an evidence base to enable full range of impact and foster innovation.
- Contribute to in-country efforts on productive changes in policies and investment practices that mobilize capital for WSS financing solutions.
- Collaborate with Water.org US teams to ensure integration of efforts, effective deployment of shared resources, and dissemination of best practices.
Country Office Management (20%)
Establish and optimize the country office environment, including effective operational and financial stewardship of Water.org resources. Ensure that Water.org meets/exceeds all grant commitments. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee development and execution of annual operations plans and budgets.
- Develop and enhance policies and standard operating procedures, including financial management, employee manuals, and other guides to inform optimal environment for compliance with Water.org global standards and practices.
- Ensure local office requirements are in place and maintained such as legal registration, bank accounts, and office space.
- Ensure governmental reporting requirements and obligations are met to maintain legal entity in good standing in the country.
- Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Ensures Accountability – Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Action Oriented – Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Manages Ambiguity– Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Business Insight – Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
- Courage – Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Decision Quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- 10 years relevant experience required, with at least 7 years at the leadership level. Minimum of 7 years as a people manager required.
- Experience in a high-growth environment required.
- Depth of knowledge in development finance, capital markets, blended finance, and/or innovative financial mechanisms.
- Experience managing and expanding successful collaborative and/or philanthropic partnerships required.
- Demonstrated understanding of government engagement as a tool for change, fluency with national policy and regulatory environments, and success working within these environments and in influencing change.
- Demonstrated proficiency in facilitation and capacity building skills to ensure collaboration and linkages between staff, donors, partners, and stakeholders.
- Master's degree in business preferred. Additional relevant certifications also considered.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) and Khmer.
- Experience working in complex global organizations and international experience strongly preferred.
Interested candidates may send a copy of their CV and a cover letter indicating their interest to: [email protected]
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Please do not attempt to contact Water.org about the status of your application.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment.