Data & Reporting Analyst
Reports to: Senior Manager of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: Jan. 25, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
Water.org is a data-driven organization. This role plays an instrumental part in assuring Water.org has a credible and relevant evidence base which informs its work while bringing the data to life. The primary responsibility of this role pertains to the oversite and governance of Water.org’s monitoring data as it pertains to programs and partnerships. Key responsibilities include ensuring data accuracy and timeliness across countries, tracking progress, and developing compelling insights and reports.
Oversight of monitoring data practices, data governance, and systems
- Work closely with International Program team members across the globe to ensure the quality, timeliness, and relevance of Water.org program and partner data.
- Perform regular data quality checks in Water.org’s management information systems (MIS), the WaterPortal and mWater.
- Liaison with MEL and International Program team members to improve upon practices, tools, and systems.
- Work with Water.org’s WaterPortal Architect to evolve platform solutions based on user needs, troubleshoot issues, and test changes made to the system.
- Manage the mWater platform including building out dashboards, survey development support and maintenance, and providing technical support to staff and 3rd parties.
- Develop and manage training tools and materials for Water.org’s systems and serve as point person for technical support.
Analytics and visualization
- Develop and manage a wide variety of measurements and indicators through dynamic platforms and dashboards.
- Bring data and insights to life through visualizations and customized dashboards.
- Analyze program data, producing statistical analysis and data insights to serve internal and external needs.
- Support MEL team at large through specialized projects including research assistance, leading projects to produce insights to inform learnings, and survey and dashboard design.
Tracking and reporting to internal and external stakeholders
- Manage the tracking of the organizational impact objectives and indicators and fulfill various internal and external reporting needs of the organization. This includes quarterly program updates, metric and dashboard reporting, and customized data pulls and analysis.
- Lead internal reporting strategies and implementation.
- Serve as point person for data requests coming from throughout the organization.
- Evolve indicators and metrics as the organization expands into different partnerships and models.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Make recommendations to Senior Manager regarding monitoring and evaluation practices and MIS platforms.
- Coordinate regularly with MIS Data Champions in country offices.
- Has authority and decision making on projects and activities managed.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity - Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s preferred
- Minimum of three years’ experience in relevant fields
- Strong experience with project management
- Knowledge and experienced in working with databases, MIS / mobile / data platforms
- Experience with training and training modules
- Experience conducting trainings on technology/software or MIS platforms
- Data analysis and visualizations
- Experience with statistical queries
- Fluency with data management and analysis tools
- Past experience working directly with global organizations and software developers, a plus
- This position will require travel occasionally to Water.org locations and places of interest, approximately 10% of time.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.