Director, Office of the President
Reports to: President
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: July 10, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
The Director, Office of the President will enhance overall efficiency and effectiveness of the President and more broadly, the organization at large. This role must be filled by someone with exceptional organizational, operational and people skills, who handles all manner of tasks not covered by an existing member of an executive’s leadership team or administrative staff. S/he must be an outstanding communicator, both orally and in writing, in order to represent the Office professionally and to further the broad agenda of the organization. S/he would help the President in setting critical priorities and allocating time and attention. As a key member of the leadership team, s/he would contribute strategic insight and operational strengths to make the organization better. S/he would develop processes that enhance effectiveness and efficiency across the organization. While driving forward on key deliverables, this individual would also serve as a’ force multiplier’ for the executive and for the leadership team, complementing their efforts and working with them to prioritize initiatives, vet analyses and project status, and solve problems before they reach the executive. By contributing their strategic perspective and breadth of skills to these priorities, this leader will also help build capacity among the broader team.
Planning and Operational Management: Support effective, efficient functioning of Water.org team by providing strategic leadership, integration and operational enhancements across Water.org teams
In partnership with CFO and with support of Leadership team, lead formal strategic plan review and update (approximately every 18 months)
Establish processes to ensure execution of org-level priorities. Near term examples include:
- Support of annual and quarterly goals reviews conducted by President with direct reports
- In partnership with CFO, develop and lead effective, select cross-functional management team meetings. Establish agenda and bring priority agenda items to closure
- Support milestone management across leadership team to ensure progress against strategic and operating plan deliverables
- Serve as strategic integrator and monitor of progress against key Water.org outcomes. Highlight successes, surface exceptions, and facilitate team alignment. Ensure alignment of annual Water.org master calendar with these deliverables, across teams.
Support shared success of Water.org and WaterEquity by serving as key Water.org contact with WaterEquity team, facilitating alignment, smooth communication and coordination of effort
Serve as extension of Water.org President on special projects for key priorities that require cross-functional coordination, alignment, attention, and support. As needed, serve as project lead on cross-cutting initiatives
Knowledge Management: Enhance knowledge management capability at Water.org – 20%
With input from key stakeholder teams, lead the following:
- Establish knowledge and insights resource at Water.org, in support of broad Water.org strategy and core Executive Team initiatives
- Establish processes and practices that facilitate knowledge- and best-practice sharing across the organization.
- Capture, distill, and disseminate key sector-relevant information across teams to inform organizational evolution, expansion and impact.
- Source and catalog core publications and insight make readily accessible to drive Water.org strategy and success
- Benchmark and establish practices to bring in outside perspective and learning to strengthen Water.org to bring in outside perspective and learning to strengthen Water.org
Serve as integrator of insights across Water.org key departments and WaterEquity to share with Executive team
Partner with MEL team to draw out key data and insights to be shared internally and externally that will coalesce support for WSS financing and Water.org approach
Organizational Support: Help build strong, engaged, effective organizational ecosystem: co- founder, team members and board – 20%
Support President to inform, connect, inspire and engage global team by surfacing and championing key internal needs, opportunities and successes, and by helping to align resources and remove obstacles
- Create internal team engagement strategy; lead development of internal communications and initiatives
- Develop annual internal content plan and strategy: Shape strategy, identify key messages, develop and support content for key internal gatherings
- Share out key insights and organizational progress to build capacity and knowledge across the organization
Support development and cultivation of informed, engaged and inspired Water.org board in order to deliver upon objectives and strengthen organization
Serve as Water.org internal point of contact in support of CEO outreach to the Water.org board
Deliver Water.org outbound board communications; connect to individual board talent to support key initiatives
Provide first review on content submitted across team and support to President and CEO in ensuring relevant, effective board meetings and communications
Support CEO and President in informing Water.org co-founder by coalescing and sharing Water.org engagement opportunities and by sharing organizational successes and developments.
Communications Support: Expand Water.org reach, awareness, engaged support base - 10%
Oversee development and delivery of relevant communications to support direct efforts of President
- Partner with public affairs and marketing to identify priority audiences, messages and opportunities for president to engage
- Serve as first point of development and/or review of required materials
- Support President in identifying, creating, and executing communications to recognize and inspire team members.
Support Innovation at Water.org and Special Projects as needed – 10%
As needed and requested:
- Support new cross-cutting Water.org initiatives that demand broad organizational resource engagement and have the potential to scale for impact
- Complete market analysis and opportunity review for emerging initiatives that build organizational capacity and/or drive innovation and growth
- Other project leadership, landscaping as needed.
Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates.
- Positions supervised include: Senior Project Specialist, Administrative Assistant
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Strategic Mindset – Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances. Demonstrates initiative, self-starter.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives. Knows when to gain consensus and when to push forward. Team orientation; focuses on ‘we’ versus ‘I’
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Plans and Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Courage – Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Directs Work – Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Manages Conflict – Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Builds Effective Teams – Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Being Resilient – Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant study required. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in relevant field. Management consulting experience coupled with strategic and operational leadership preferred. Strong strategic and operational planning experience required.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience managing professionals; passion for building capacity in and developing others.
- Outstanding communicator, both orally and in writing.
- Strong strategic mindset, adept problem-solver with deep ability to distill complex information into clear path forward. Skilled at connecting dots and revealing insight.
- Bias for operational efficiency; demonstrated success developing project, processes, and practices that enhance organizational effectiveness. Proficiency in use of collaborative tools required.
- Professional executive presence, impeccable judgment. Positive reflection of Office of the President. Experience working successfully across levels required.
- Demonstrated skills in relationship-building and collaboration across various departments; as well as building effective and efficient bridge between leaders and staff. Both respectful and candid.
- Depth of experience leading and managing complex, organizationally cross-cutting initiatives. Skilled project leader and manager.
- Experience capturing, distilling and disseminating knowledge and insights preferred
- Demonstrated success delivering results within complex, matrixed global organizations
- Ability to establish and prioritize conflicting demands and agendas. Efficient decision-maker.
- Interested in and proficient with constant improvement and tools that facilitate efficiency, communication and collaboration.
- Fluent adopter of technological solutions for effective communication and collaboration; proficient in requisite communication and collaboration tools.
Up to 15% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.