Executive Director, Indonesia
Reports to: Global Operations Director
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Effective: April 18, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
Water.org has been growing steadily in Indonesia over the past few years and is now seeking to dramatically accelerate growth. We seek an outstanding, seasoned and strategic leader as Executive Director with experience scaling an organization who will drive significant impact and who seeks to influence lasting change at scale.
The Executive Director, Indonesia will be the country lead, with overall accountability for establishing a successful roadmap for organizational growth and impact delivery. The Executive Director will inspire and direct a strong, dynamic team, lead refinement and execution of the country strategy, and cultivate partnerships and design initiatives that mobilize capital for water and sanitation for those in poverty. The Executive Director is a thought leader for Water.org and represents its interests with government, business and sector leaders in-country, advocating for change that will help realize Water.org’s ambitious mission and objectives.
The Executive Director, Indonesia will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Strategic Vision and Leadership (30%)
Demonstrate a personal drive for and embody Water.org’s mission and leadership values that motivate and mobilize efforts to rapidly scale impact. Key activities include the following:
- Lead, refinement, optimization and delivery of the country strategy and provide overall direction for its execution and integration across all areas of Water.org’s work in Indonesia.
- Lead and strengthen Water.org’s reputation and brand, acting as the primary representative of Water.org to key government, media, scale-enabling partners and other influencers as well as contributing to building a robust evidence base to enable full range of impact and to foster innovation.
- Lead and contribute to in-country efforts to galvanize productive changes in policies and investment practices that mobilize capital for water supply and sanitation (WSS) financing solutions.
- Collaborate with Water.org global team to ensure integration of efforts, effective deployment of shared resources, and dissemination of knowledge gained from implementation, best practices, insights and innovations.
- Review and determine best fit of business activities with appropriate local legal entity and registration, allowing Water.org maximum flexibility to achieve its strategy and enhance revenue generation.
- Contribute to and support marketing, branding and development strategies to ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue available for deployment to country-level execution.
- Lead on gathering market trends and insights that influence and affect strategic execution.
Planning & New Business Development (30%)
Position Water.org as a partner of choice and thought leader in the country. Direct teams to develop and sustain growth of key partnerships and priorities for impact in country. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Establish a leading portfolio of collaborative action partnerships with institutions and organizations, such as multilateral banks and agencies, financial and non-financial institutions, regulatory bodies and policy influencers so to unlock and deploy new sources of capital for water supply and sanitation.
- Drive capital into the sector through identifying avenues for debt/equity investment, credit enhancements, and public/private investment partnerships.
- Inspire and develop team to hone its strategic appetite and acumen for innovation and enabling scale through utilizing increased insights, trends-analysis and networked relationships.
- Leverage personal influence and gravitas to cultivate and secure transformational partnerships and stakeholder relationships.
- Direct development, establishment and scaling of country-level interventions, partnerships, and business operations to ensure responsiveness and competitiveness of Water.org’s offerings in the market.
Talent Management (20%)
Provide overall leadership for talent in country. Define and build the teams/functions needed to attain success. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead, develop and inspire high-performing teams, with appropriate levels of delegated authority, guidance and role clarity.
- Maintain adequate staffing levels in country in accordance with approved budget. Contract with consultants as needed to temporarily fill staffing gaps.
- With the HR team, co-develop and deploy global standards and best practices for in-county recruitment, job training, and onboarding processes for staff to ensure acquisition and retention of top talent.
- Lead performance management with direct reports by providing clear performance goals, offering regular, specific feedback on job performance, organizing team meetings and retreats, and working with individual direct reports to set and achieve professional development goals.
Organizational Strengthening & Excellence (20%)
Ensure Water.org builds and retains a stellar reputation for integrity and transparency. Position and scale the organization to address market expansion and operational complexity. Other activities include but are not limited to:
- Partner with HR and other global functions to define appropriate org design and structure for country office.
- Ensure global policies and standards for corporate security and safety are enforced and integrated into business operations, including accountability for duty of care for all staff working and visiting in country.
- Contribute to and support global practices to improve organizational health.
- Undertake as assigned or directed, key initiatives to improve organizational efficiency and productivity.
- Ensure country office integrates Water.org global standards into all aspects of country operations.
- Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates.
- Positions supervised include: Operations Director and (over time) Lead, Business Strategy & Development & other experts and specialists as required.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Delivery of in country impact as measured by organizational goals and metrics.
- Co-owns “no/no go” decision on all country-level partnerships and initiatives.
- Ensure legal compliance of in country entity
- Accountable for duty of care for all staff and visitors in country
- Accountable for annual budget
- Lead in-country talent management and development metrics, including acquisition, development and retention of top talent.
- Accountable for adoption and uptake of Water.org global standards and policies.
Skills and Competencies
- Strategic Mindset – Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Builds Effective Teams – Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Business Insight – Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
- Decision Quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Cultivates Innovation – Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Ensures Accountability – Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Manages Ambiguity– Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Plans and Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Courage – Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- 15 years relevant experience required, with at least 5 years at the executive level. Minimum of 6 years as a people manager required.
- Master's degree in business preferred. Additional relevant certifications also considered.
- Experience with development finance, capital markets, blended finance and/or innovative financial mechanisms.
- Proven track record of successfully leading enterprises or organizations through high growth and/or expansion.
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- A financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making.
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be a compelling spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser.
- Demonstrated proficiency in facilitation skills to ensure collaboration and linkages between staff, donors, partners and stakeholders.
- Experience managing and expanding successful collaborative and/or philanthropic partnerships required.
- Fluent in English (oral and written) and Bahasa.
- Experience working in globally matrixed organizations strongly preferred. International experience strongly preferred, preference for experience in U.S.
- Up to 25% of domestic and global travel.
- This position does require travel both domestic and global to fulfill responsibilities, such as leading/convening Water.org events, representing the organization at conferences, events and other key activities.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.