HR Specialist – Compensation, Benefits & HRIS
Reports to: Manager of Human Resources
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: April 2, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
In this newly created position, the HR Specialist will serve as a member of the Human Resources team to support Water.org’s efforts to remain a stimulating, rewarding and innovative place to work. The HR Specialist will collaborate and integrate service delivery to ensure consistency in compensation and benefits philosophies, as well as operational efficiencies for maintaining global employment data and reporting. S/he will perform professional level HR related duties in a fast-paced environment by working closely with HR team members and organizational leaders in support of a rapidly growing, global workforce. This newly position will deliver administrative HR support in a variety of areas with emphasis on employee benefits, compensation and HRIS.
Acts as internal support contact for US benefits related activities; collaborates with Human Resources Management, Water.org’s benefits broker and third-party account representatives concerning routine administration of benefit plans and programs.
- Administers and maintains day-to-day US benefit programs including: medical, dental, vision, life, disability and 401(k) plans.
- Collaborates with Finance department to enter and adjust benefit deductions and earnings codes for payroll processing, benefits invoice payments and premium reconciliations as needed.
- Monitors portfolio of benefit plan documents and ensures operational practices comply with state and federal laws, including COBRA, ACA guidelines and 1095-C reporting.
- Maintains repository of all current plan documents, forms and communications resources to build staff knowledge and culture of wellness.
- Supports US staff during Open Enrollment with understanding of various benefit plan policies; refers to broker and/or plan carriers for escalated support as necessary.
- Gathers and analyzes employee benefits reports that will support operational improvements and/or recommendations for plan enhancement.
Supports a variety of US and global compensation projects in alignment with existing compensation philosophy policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Maintains systems and reporting mechanisms for compiling, preparing and presenting compensation data.
- Evaluates jobs, coordinates market pricing analysis and participates in compensation surveys.
- Assists in the analysis, design and administration of compensation programs, including base and incentive pay.
- Ensures changes to compensation practices are documented and communicated to appropriate stakeholders
- Keeps apprised of federal, state and local compensation regulations to ensure compliance.
HR Information Systems
Supports a variety of day-to-day activities associated with employee records within HR information systems.
- Coordinates, evaluates and maintains personnel details within HR information systems.
- Generates standard reports for HR or leadership across the organization as required, may alter query variables in order to generate more complex.
- Assists in identifying HR data needs and systems or processes to fulfill those needs.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
- Internal interfaces will include managers and team members from across the organization
- External interfaces are limited, but will include collaboration with vendor relationships
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity - Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Decision Quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Human Resources
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in benefits, compensation and/or HR information systems
- Basic knowledge of HR, financial and operational principles
- Specialized knowledge in and administration of compensation and benefits programs
- Strong analytical ability and technical proficiency in spreadsheets, databases and information systems (Microsoft 365, SharePoint, Excel, file integrations)
- Experience with international HR operations preferred
- Minimal travel required. Up to 5%.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment.