Reports to: Director of Technology
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: May 4, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
The primary purpose of the IT Generalist is to lead end to end technology support for the global organization across the portfolio of enabling technology solutions. The IT Generalist will be the primary internal point of contact for IT related initiatives and day to day support operations for Water.org. S/he will manage the IT managed services (Help Desk support, maintenance and projects). S/he will be responsible for IT project management and support technology implementation. S/he will also be responsible for designing, implementing and optimizing key technology processes that will enable greater scale and impact while also managing technology risks across the organization. This service-oriented role is designed to understand the organizational needs and work diligently to enable the global organization with effective, scalable solutions that span across the entire suite of enabling technology. This position reports to the Director of Technology and is based in Kansas City, MO (headquarters).
- Define, implement and maintain global IT operating processes (procurement, provisioning, asset management, remote and local support, office setup, etc.).
- Manage 3rd party managed service vendor partnerships and communication.
- Work across departments, locations and with external resources on technology processes, policies and procedures.
- Work across the organization to understand individual user/team needs; identify and recommend solutions that meet user/organizational needs for technology.
- Identify and test user impacts and experiences from technology changes, then make recommendations for communication and minimizing impact to Water.org staff.
- Monitor and assess software roadmaps and release schedules for changes and implications for the organization and/or users.
- Monitors and measures IT systems and contributes to monthly, quarterly and yearly assessment and planning cycles.
Project Orchestration and Management
- Coordinates IT projects as needed and ensures company resources are utilized appropriately and employee impact is minimized.
- Provides end-to-end leadership, management, and oversight on all aspects of an assigned technology project to ensure it is completed on-time and as expected.
- Compiles status reports, coordinates project schedules and activities, identifies and resolves technical problems, ensures project phase documentation, and communicates them appropriately.
- Identifies and analyzes systems requirements and defines project scope, requirements and deliverables.
- Contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project
- Function as the primary point of communication for assigned projects with internal stakeholders.
- Establish and monitor IT related metrics to assess the successful implementation and adoption of projects and/or technology.
Support and Training
- Support end-users with the day-to-day technology issues and requests in a responsive and service oriented manner.
- Manages desktop support (“Help Desk”) function for the global organization.
- Create materials and resources for technology changes (ex. upgrade instructions).
- Oversee new hire onboarding to Water.org Technology Operating Model and available resources.
- Create, maintain and increase the Technology Knowledge Base and resources (IT FAQs, Key Resources, etc.) at Water.org in order to make finding technology answers efficient and effective.
- Lead training sessions as needed (ex. Lunch and Learns) around technology solutions and how to use them.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
- Acts as a project manager. Among responsibilities is management of a project team. The individuals comprising this team may vary by project, but will more frequently include manage Help Desk vendor and other IT managed services
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably Management of Information Systems or related field.
- 5+ years increasing responsibility in desktop support, IT administration or similar technology support related positions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of organization’s core business process and operations
- Proven experience with business and technical requirement analysis, elicitation, modeling, verification and methodology development
- Experience overseeing the design, development and implementation of software and hardware solutions, systems or products.
- Demonstrated ability to create systemic and consistent requirements specifications in both technical and user-friendly language
- Exceptional analytical and statistical skills with the ability to apply them to systems issues and products as required.
- Clear understanding of product management
- Demonstrated project management skills and project management software skills, including planning, organizing and managing resources.
- Understanding of applications development and software development life cycles
- Working knowledge of network and PC operating systems, including [Windows and Mac]
Travel is not required for this role.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.