Learning and Development Manager
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: July 28, 2017
663 million people – about one in ten – lack access to safe water. 2.4
billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to
change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the
world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we
believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share
in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas
City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the
world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and
Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the
global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health
and communities a future.
In this newly created position, the Learning + Development Manager will serve as a critical member of the HR team to ensure Water.org is and remains a stimulating, rewarding and innovative place to work. S/he will perform manager level duties in a fast paced environment by partnering closely with organizational leaders and team members globally in support of a rapidly growing, global workforce. This position will lead the learning and development function by applying his/her proven experience and industry best practices to design and implement innovative performance support solutions.
- Consults with managers to assess and anticipate learning needs. Ensures training programs support the evolving needs of the business.
- Leads development of the organization’s learning strategy. Aligns resources and budget accordingly.
- Administers assessments of team members globally. Identifies and prioritizes gaps requiring learning support.
- Leads development/sourcing, implementation, and measurement of organizational-wide and functional team development programming.
- Evaluates and facilitates content using both "off-the-shelf" and custom designed content. Effectively leverages vendor partners as appropriate to deliver training.
- Partners with leaders to develop and implement internal communications plans and/or training strategies for roll-out of organizational initiatives.
- Conducts learning evaluations to measure levels of effectiveness and impact of learning programs to achieve business outcomes. Provides reporting accordingly.
- Develops and own the organization's learning calendar.
- May supervise a training support team member and training resources globally.
- Internal interfaces will include leaders and team members across the organization
- External interfaces will include vendor relationship management
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Understanding of adult learning principles and related training design techniques
- Knowledge of learning and development best practices, trends, and tools including mobile and social
- Excellent verbal/written communications skills
- Multi-cultural exposure and understanding
- Strong project management skills
- Possession of excellent analytical, client relationship management, and problem–solving skills
Required education and experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Instructional Design, Organizational Development, or a related field of study
- Minimum 10 years of experience managing learning and development programming
- Specialized experience leading assessment and diagnostic projects, leadership development, and instructional design/content development
- Experience partnering with senior leaders in a consultative manner on learning initiatives
- Experience leading the development and implementation of an organizational learning strategy in a global organization.
- Demonstrated ability aligning learning systems to drive business performance. Proven track record of delivering year-over-year results.
- Experience in financial services
- Experience evaluating and implementing a LMS (learning management system)
This position requires up to 15% travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.