Mexico Representative Consultant
Reports to: Latin America Senior Regional Manager
Effective: Nov. 17, 2017
Water.org is a U.S.-based, non-governmental organization working to increase access to water supply and sanitation (WSS). Since 1990, Water.org has been implementing WSS programs in conjunction with local NGOs and financial institutions (FIs). Water.org has significantly expanded its WaterCredit initiative over the last several years, which works by building the capacity of carefully-selected local financial institutions and apex organizations to offer affordable financing for WSS facilities. Partner institutions develop and launch loan products to finance household level facilities such as toilets and water tanks. WaterCredit programs support FIs and apex organizations through a combination of financial assistance and technical support, or solely technical support.
Since 2003, Water.org has implemented WaterCredit programs with 69 partners, facilitating more than 1.6 million WSS loans totaling more than US$500 million. Water.org has offices in eight countries and works in Latin America, Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia.In Mexico Water.org completed a market assessment to gauge demand and need for WaterCredit at a country level in September 2017. Water.org would like to sign agreements with FI partners and begin to develop WSS loan products in 2018.
The Water.org Mexico Representative Consultant will be responsible for the following objectives:
- Disseminate results of WaterCredit market assessment to potential stakeholders.
- Network with potential Water.org partners and stakeholders to create a robust list of institutions interested in collaboration with Water.org
- Conduct due diligence on potential partners and cultivate partnerships, including project plans and budgets
- Facilitate agreements signed with new partners
- Identify training and technical assistance needs of potential stakeholders and facilitate the process of creating those materials.
- Act as a representative of Water.org in the country with stakeholders and in attending important sector events as needed
The position will report to the Senior Regional Manager for Latin America (based in Kansas City). This person will also work closely with the Senior Manager of WaterCredit Adoption (based in San Francisco) and Portfolio Manager for Latin America (expected to be based in Kansas City).
The assignment will require frequent interaction with counterparts in financial institutions and WSS suppliers such as municipal governments, district governments and WSS suppliers. Travel within Mexico will be required to accomplish the responsibilities of this assignment.
The Consultant is expected to communicate regularly with the US-based Water.org team, and document progress toward country objectives.
- Disseminate results from market assessment
- Create list of stakeholders and potential partners to target for WaterCredit implementation
- Cultivate relationships with potential partners for WaterCredit implementation
- Understand WaterCredit model and develop tools to communicate the model with potential partners
- Develop work plans and proposals for WaterCredit implementation in conjunction with partners and other stakeholders
- Represent Water.org at national and local WSS and microfinance events and in meetings with sector stakeholders and donor visits
- Identify training and technical assistance needs of potential stakeholders and facilitate the process of creating those materials. Participate in trainings as needed.
- Keep Water.org staff apprised on trends in WSS and microfinance sectors
- Engage and cooperate with sector stakeholders such as local and national government, WSS product manufacturers, water service providers and WSS NGOs operating in Mexico
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; relevant Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of ten years of experience in microfinance sector
- Familiarity with the activities required for loan product development and scaling
- Proven ability to effectively design and manage technical assistance or capacity building programs, particularly in the financial or WSS sectors
- Minimum of three years of experience managing projects and tracking activities and expenditures against work-plan and budget
- Experience in creating strategic plans in new markets and products in new market
- Experience with donor-funded international development initiatives
- Required native fluency in Spanish, preferred fluency in English
- Innovative mind-set oriented toward constructive problem-solving and collaboration with stakeholders from various sectors
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and ability to multi-task and adjust to changing priorities
- Ability to travel within Mexico, and possibly other countries in Latin America and the United States
It will be an advantage for the candidate to also have:
- Banking or financial sector consulting experience
- Experience in training staff or implementing training programs
The assignment will be remunerated on a time plus expenses basis on delivery and acceptance of outputs by the Senior Manager, Latin America and Senior Manager of WaterCredit Adoption. Requests for payment should be made at the end of each calendar month or quarter.
Timing and assignment duration
The consultancy assignment will be approximately 9 months and is expected to start on January 2, 2017 and end on September 30, 2018. Upon satisfactory performance and continued funding this assignment may be extended.
Interested candidates may send a copy of his or her CV and a cover letter describing relevant qualifications and daily rate requirements through the link above. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The deadline for applications is December 4. Please do not attempt to contact Water.org about the status of your application