Reports to: Manager of Corporate Accounting
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: June 22, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
The Payroll Clerk is primarily responsible for the preparation of semi-monthly payroll and recording of US payroll within the accounting system, with speed, accuracy, and a high level of professionalism and internal customer service. This position requires confidentiality, experience in entering data with attention to detail, and math skills to make the necessary calculations. Water.org’s Payroll Clerk reports to the Manager, Corporate Accounting. This position will be based in Kansas City, MO.
- Prepare semi-monthly payroll (timely, accurate, etc.).
- Record payroll information in the accounting system.
- Monitor and maintain paid time-off and benefit accruals.
- Monitor and review payroll accounts to verify accuracy and prepare appropriate corrections and/or updates for month end.
- Communicate with staff regarding their requests and inquiries related to timesheet and paystub information.
- Prepare payroll related general ledger journal entries as needed.
- Maintain reconciliations of balance sheet accounts related to payroll.
- Work with payroll service to resolve any issues related to payroll tax payments.
- Assist with the preparation of personnel related annual audit work papers.
- Reconcile US bank accounts.
- Reconcile various balance sheet accounts and prepares entries to general ledger accounts to assist with month-end close process.
- Assist with account reconciliations for annual audit.
- Run reports and provide statistical data to support analytics of time and effort.
- Document procedures related to personnel and bank reconciliations.
- Perform ad-hoc reporting and special projects as assigned.
- Assist with database entry in other areas of Finance during peak times.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- High school diploma required with an Associates in Accounting or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant payroll management experience.
- Familiarity with general accounting principles.
- Proficient in accounting and database systems with experience in Financial Edge, and/ or Paylocity preferred.
- Experience in data collection, entry, and reporting with great attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and problem solve payroll issues.
- Ability to handle confidential situations professionally.
- Strong sense of initiative with the ability to manage time and deadlines with little supervision.
- Must be skilled in Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel.
No travel required.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.