Planning & Performance Specialist
Reports to: Manager of Planning & Performance
Location: Kansas City, MO
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Planning & Performance Team coordinates and amplifies the core objectives of Water.org’s Global Impact department, acting as both a department-wide business management team as well as a provider of advisory and strategic support for the Global Impact Leadership Team. This team champions mission-critical projects and initiatives that enhance the department’s ability to deliver impact, improve productivity, mitigate risks, and connect the global team through key engagement and communications platforms.
The Planning & Performance Specialist within Planning & Performance team is primarily responsible for ensuring departmental effectiveness and operational efficiency through the successful management of various projects, events, and departmental initiatives. Additionally, this role is responsible for building new and improving existing standards, tools, and processes resulting in improved workflow and communication across Global Impact.
This Planning & Performance Specialist role is based in Kansas City, MO.
Global Impact Project Oversight & Management Coordination (70%)
- Lead high-level, strategic projects that support the overall departmental success
- Provide project support for additional initiatives across the organization
- Serve as project team member on organization-wide initiatives, representing the Global Impact department
- Develop and standardize the project management framework that will serve as a guide for the Planning & Performance team for all department projects.
- Monitor and facilitate department events, initiative and projects
- Standardize project management processes for Global Impact
Operational and Departmental Planning, Support, & Administration (20%)
- Monitor departmental dashboard for needed updates, etc.
- Provide dashboard analysis and insights to ensure data integrity
- Provide operational support and process improvement by developing tools and processes that enhance coordination within the Global Impact department.
Content Development & Management (10%)
- Work with Chief Impact Officer and Planning & Performance Lead to identify departmental training needs, develop objectives and training content.
- Work with Learning and Development to coordinate delivery of training.
- Collaborate with Global Impact team members to identify collateral needs.
- Acts as a project manager to drive timely completion of collateral projects.
- Work with Marketing to ensure collateral published for Global Impact is in alignment with Water.org brand standard and marketing guidelines.
- Gather input and feedback from various sources through the development, administration, and analysis of internal surveys.
- Synthesize survey internal results to determine strategy and execute against internal projects, initiatives, processes, and events.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Proactively optimize and improve Global Impact’s departmental standards, tools, and processes.
- Facilitate content and collateral development on behalf of the Global Impact team
- Support improved clarity and communication regarding Global Impact priorities for the organization.
Skills and competencies
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Manages Ambiguity – Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a degree in a business or project management related field of study is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in the capacity of a project manager or significant project facilitator.
- Proficient skillset in project management with experience planning for and integrating multiple tasks concurrently.
- Strong analytical, planning, problem identification and resolution skills required.
- Previous professional experience gathering, analyzing, and distilling large amounts of disparate information through previously held positions.
- Demonstrated experience successfully designing and facilitating corporate events and conferences.
- Well-developed presentation design and content development abilities.
- Exceptionally detail-oriented and organized, ensuring quality and consistent output.
- Advanced skillset utilizing MS Office 365 and Microsoft Office products.
- Experience working in matrixed global organizations with keen ability to effectively engage a diverse workforce.
- Up to 10% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.