Reports to: Director of Technology
Location: Kansas City, MO
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Product Owner at Water.org is responsible for leading and launching an ambitious, new consumer-facing financial software product that aspires to dramatically increase funds available for the affordable financing of water and sanitation loans. In this role s/he will own and lead the product vision, growth strategy, roadmap, and product development process.
The Product Owner will facilitate constant learning from users and improvement of key metrics and lead synthesis of learnings and recommendations for business, design, and development teams in the form of updated strategy, roadmap, user stories, and priorities.
This position reports to the Director of Technology and works closely with the product development team as well as coordination and collaboration with other departments and key stakeholders across the organization.
This is a project-based hire that supports the product management on behalf of Water.org, which may be active for potentially multiple years. Continuation on this project will be assessed on an annual basis.
The Product Manager is based in Kansas City, MO.
Act as Voice of the Customer (25%)
- Establish, design and execute strategies for gathering feedback from the customer.
- Responsible for receiving and analyzing end-user feedback to get the pulse of the user to determine the course of future product strategy; extracts user preferences from behavior.
- Lead the optimization of the user experience.
- Responsible for the documentation, maintenance, socialization and prioritization of user stories.
Product Strategy (25%)
- Define and lead the prioritization for the short- and long-term product goals; establish KPIs and leading indicators to track against goals.
- Lead and manage strategic communications surrounding the product growth story and future goals to project stakeholders.
- Ensures project growth is aligned with organizational investment priorities.
- Builds alignment around roadmap and set prioritization based on strategic organization goals.
- Lean in achieving ambitious growth goals through expanding user base, increasing engagement, and growing financial commitments from users.
Product Development (50%)
- Management of the internal product team and external partners, providing methodical leadership of the product team in an iterative, Agile, Build-Measure-Learn process.
- Manage development and documentation of plans for each iterative release.
- Responsible for maximizing the value of each release with respect to user acquisition, new features, learning goals, and support.
- Responsible for framing each release against a long-term growth strategy.
- Establish support and feedback plans according to project and organizational timelines.
- Lead the selection process for project management, analytics, support, customer feedback, communications, and reporting tools.
- Acts as a project manager. Among responsibilities is management of a project team. The individuals comprising this team may vary by project.
- Positions supervised include:
- Product Team (includes both internal and external individuals):
- Design Teams
- Software Development Team
- Quality Assurance Team
- Product Marketing Team
- Product Team (includes both internal and external individuals):
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Accountable for leading all elements and intricacies associated with the upstream disruption project.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Tech Savvy – Anticipating and adopting innovations in business-building digital and technology applications.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Plans and Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Directs Work – Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Bachelors required in Computer Science, Engineering, Finance or other applicable degree.
- 10+ years experience in current field or equivalent transferable experience; 3 years as a people manager required.
- Strong project management skills.
- Previous successes in leading software product teams consisting of design, development, content, and business from concept, to MVP, through many iterations, and significant growth in user base.
- Knowledge of Agile software development, LeanUX best practices, process, and tools
- High-level understanding of financial modeling and business practices.
- Expertise in Project Management; Kanban tools such as Trello, Pivotal Tracker preferred.
- Expertise in behavioral analytics and tools such as SQL, Segment.io, Mixpanel preferred.
- Up to 10% of domestic travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.