Project Specialist, Office of the President
Reports to: Director, Office of the President
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: July 17, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
The primary purpose of the Project Specialist is to ensure executive effectiveness, operational efficiency, and team integration through support of the key initiatives of the Office of the President of Water.org. This role helps facilitate integration among the Water.org global team through support of key cross-functional initiatives and team gatherings and through the development of engaging communications that inform and inspire. This role provides a professional reflection of executives to external contacts and builds relationships within the leadership team, coordinates amongst them to deliver upon deadlines, and supports key deliverables including board, leadership team, staff, and retreat meeting planning and support. The Project Specialist role will enhance team connection through support of team member recognition and sharing of successes across the organization. Given that this is a new role, candidates will be expected to contribute ideas and initiative that will shape this opportunity in order to best facilitate executive and team effectiveness and connection.
This position is based in Kansas City.
Ensure Executive Effectiveness – Priority and Time Management Support for Office of President
- Develop and maintain the key tracking tools for the office of president; update and communicate out key priorities, work seamlessly with the administrative assistant to ensure that time commitments reflect key priorities.
- With input from president and executive offices, manage calendar of key events, deadlines, and deliverables across Water.org. Surface and work to resolve conflicts that arise.
- Work in collaboration with administration to proactively identify needs for upcoming organizational calendar items and develop processes to meet deadlines and complete deliverables among leadership team.
Facilitate Organizational Integration and Connection
- Provide operational support and process improvement by developing tools and processes that enhance coordination within the Water.org team and across the Water.org/WaterEquity teams.
- Serve as project team representative to organization-wide initiatives, representing the Office of the President (e.g. Office 365, SharePoint)
- Provide operational support for initiatives led by the Office of the President - attend meetings, capture and disseminate notes and action item summaries.
Enhance Team Effectiveness
- Provide project support, coordination and communication to support the key initiatives driven out of the Office of the President; including but not limited to the following: Establishment of a knowledge management center at WO (researching, distilling, disseminating information); Ensuring efficient internal operations and meetings; Supporting global engagement scope of work with ASG
- Review, distill and disseminate key information among team: Capture and share key successes and best practices across team; Review and distill insights from relevant media coverage, trends, communications and publications for use by the President and her team
Facilitate Team Integration and Connection: Staff Meetings and Internal Communications
- With support of the Director, Office of President, develop annual plan for team integration, communication, knowledge-sharing, and inspiration
- Work in collaboration with administration to develop annual content calendar for ongoing staff gatherings (Staff Meetings, Retreat, Open Forums), lead and coordinate requisite materials
- Develop internal communications that will inform and inspire global team
- Develop stronger coordination and connection between Water.org U.S. and Global offices
- Actively seek out ways to enhance recognition of team members by President and peers
- Identify and plan opportunities for team connection, with emphasis on Leadership team
- In partnership with HR and Leadership team, execute systems that reward and recognize team member contributions and milestones in order to create connection and enhance working environment
Coalesce External Resources to support Water.org
- Work in collaboration with administration to support Board of Directors meetings, Water.org-led forums, site visits, and special events
- Collaborate with administrative assistant to ensure effective external resource / contact management and relationship stewardship
- In conjunction with marketing and public affairs, support development of social media presence for President in support of organizational objectives
- Provide input into and conduct research on key opportunities for involvement of Water.org President. Interface with external contacts as needed to negotiate and coordinate engagement.
- Support the development of communications and presentations given by the president to external audiences with the focus on delivering compelling external communication.
As needed, this position will provide administrative support to the president and executive offices as part of a core team working together to ensure efficiency and provide support to executives and to the organization at large, including but not limited to:
- Scheduling, travel planning, briefing materials, correspondences and other support, timesheets and expense reports.
- Researching and securing venues, anticipating and addressing items that will ensure meeting objectives and attendee needs are met, take and disseminate notes and track follow through of action items.
- Participate in organizational committees to ensure cross-functional meetings and events are resourced and run smoothly.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer- centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study required. International studies, communications, business preferred.
- Minimum three to five years of experience in project management in a complex operating environment required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe software required. Eagerness to explore, adopt and disseminate new technologies to enhance efficiency desired (e.g. Skype for Business, Sharepoint, Office 365).
- Demonstrated strength in a broad range of communications and supporting tools.
- Demonstrated success working across levels internally and externally; professionalism, strategic mindset and strong judgment required.
- Ability to coalesce disparate information and inputs into a concise path forward; demonstrated success in translating knowledge and context into action and outcomes.
- Outstanding communicator, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated success in developing processes and process improvements that enhance team effectiveness.
- Proficiency with social media preferred (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
- Experience in complex global organization preferred.
Up to 10% of domestic and global travel to support organizational meetings, events, and site visits.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.