Sector Engagement Analyst
Reports to: Manager, Sector Strategy
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: April 18, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Sector Engagement team at Water.org leads the organizational engagement of bilateral and multilateral development institutions for the purposes of influencing governments, global water and sanitation finance forum decision-making, and the policies and practices of these institutions. This team strategically guides and strengthens Water.org's engagement skill in systems and collective impact with scale-enabling development finance institutions, government actors, and sector resource leaders and facilitates effective global-local relationships to underpin country strategies. The Sector Engagement team proactively and successfully cultivates and manages global relationships with these institutions and within these forums; while also providing opportunity landscaping, targeted policy and practice advice and assistance to our country teams, and influence leadership within and on behalf of Water.org.
The Sector Engagement Analyst within the Sector Engagement team is primarily responsible for conducting research, analysis, and monitoring of sector trends regarding development finance and government institutions. The Sector Engagement Analyst will also provide organizational coordinate and manage various projects in support of Sector Engagement priorities. The Sector Engagement Analyst will also contribute to the operational foundation and effectiveness of the team by creating templates, managing collateral, and documenting key processes and strategies.
The Sector Engagement Analyst role is based in Kansas City, MO.
Operational Efficiency & Support (55%)
- Coalesce and disseminate progress updates against departmental initiatives.
- Partner with the Manager, Sector Strategy to identify opportunities to enhance performance on departmental initiatives.
- Identify coordination issues with the field operations team regarding departmental initiatives and partner with the Manager, Sector Strategy to troubleshoot.
- Lead strategic department projects that support the execution of the Sector Engagement Practice strategy.
- Maintain data quality within internal databases with development finance and government institutions partnership relationship data.
- Attend meetings involving the Sector Engagement team, capturing and disseminating notes and action item summaries.
- Develop and publish templates, tools, and procedures for Sector Engagement to enhance coordination, communication and capability building across the organization.
- Develop draft communications and presentations on behalf of the Sr. Manager, Sector Engagement.
- Coordinate and execute ad-hoc projects in support of Sector Engagement priorities.
- Serve as the point of contact for departmental document and collateral management.
- Represent Sector Engagement team throughout XRM considerations, implementation, and usage.
- Maintain WaterPortal data and performance compliance, as well as Power-Bi tracking
- Provides operational support and coordination for sector events and forums.
Support External Relationships (40%)
- Proactively conduct research, analysis, and synthesis of information on sector trends and key development finance and government partners.
- Provide briefing materials for high-level global roundtables and conference engagements.
- Collaborate with department Relationship Managers to develop and maintain a suite of Sector Engagement partnership materials, including best practices, partner guides, presentations, and narrative 2-pagers.
- Monitor, track, and assess Sector Engagement partnership scorecard.
- Create and maintain Sector Engagement partner page materials
- Facilitate sector-collateral dissemination of external communications on behalf of the Sector Engagement team.
- Obtain, synthesize, and distill quarterly partner research information.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Provide operational project management support to Sector Engagement team.
- Manage practice collateral generation and dissemination to internal and external audiences.
Skills and Competencies
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Strategic Mindset – Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Decision Quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree required in international development, politics/international politics, business, or other related discipline requiring both strong analytical and presentation skills. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- 5 years of project management experience managing complex projects involving significant research, analysis, and stakeholder management.
- Proficiency in translating, analyzing, and synthesizing complex data and presenting insights, actions, and outcomes in a clear and compelling manner.
- Ability to coalesce disparate information and inputs into a concise path forward.
- Demonstrated ability to design, launch, and scale new projects and initiatives.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to deliver clear and compelling multi-mode communications to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated success working across levels internally and externally.
- Prior experience supporting organizational effectiveness by developing and optimizing processes.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet varying deadlines.
- Demonstrated expert Office 365 skills; specifically, with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in matrixed global organizations and ability to cultivate and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Understanding of and passion for financial markets, international development, and/or water and sanitation preferred.
Up to 10% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.