Senior Accountant, Global Finance
Reports to: Manager of International Accounting
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: Aug. 29, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Sr. Accountant, Global Finance leverages high-level analytical skills, attention to detail and accuracy, ability to multi-task, and efficient self-drive to lead Water.org’s global office accountants in the development, monitoring and reporting on country specific financial information. The Sr. Accountant, Global Finance is responsible for driving and ensuring the standardization of process and procedures across the globe and serves as the point of contact for internal stakeholder questions regarding the financial elements for Water.org’s global offices. The Senior Accountant, Global Finance reports to the Manager, International Accounting.
The Sr. Accountant, Global Finance is based in Kansas City, MO.
Partner with International Office Staff (70%)
- Provides forecasting and budgeting support for international office leadership.
- Serves as point of contact for all finance related inquiries for global office leadership.
- Assists with in country special projects that require financial perspective or specific accounting treatments.
- Participates in the training and onboarding for new global office accountants.
- Provides ongoing support and mentoring for existing accountants in global offices.
- Understands local accounting and tax regulations for each global office & consults external auditors as needed.
- Provides support for software systems used for accounting and administration in country.
- Performs biennial business reviews of the office to evaluate internal controls, implement best practices, review existing processes for potential efficiencies.
- Facilitates annual audits between external accounting firm and local country office.
- Coordinates with other internal departments as needed to ensure consistency related to employee benefits, office registrations, etc.
- Standardizes processes across all offices and considers ways to maximize expertise.
- Implements global enhancements to finance functions to gain efficiencies as one global team.
- Documents office specific requirements related to registrations, banking, annual filings, insurances, etc. so that questions related to offices are quickly answered.
Global Office Monthly Accounting Activity (30%)
- Ensures the consolidation of accounting activity from all international offices is entered into the accounting system of record in a timely and accurate manner for inclusion into the corporate financials.
- Reviews monthly financial activity from all global office accounts and completes required adjustments for accounting practices required for US GAAP.
- Reviews monthly account reconciliations to ensure compliance with local standards and ensure accurate information is included in accounting systems of the global office.
- Completes the monthly balance sheet account reconciliations for global offices within US accounting system.
- Prepares monthly payroll information for global office payroll/benefits to be recorded within US accounting system.
- Acts as a project manager. Among responsibilities is management of a project team. The individuals comprising this team may vary by project.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Responsible for managing and auditing all international accounting, processes and procedures as necessary.
- Ensures global financial information is consolidated into corporate books by month end deadline.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Financial Acumen – Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Business Insight – Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Manages Ambiguity - Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or other related field required
- Minimum of 6 years accounting or business analytics experience in a globally focused role or within a global organization.
- Strong working knowledge of Accounting best practices and with GAAP.
- Experience utilizing accounting systems required. Experience in Financial Edge, QuickBooks and Adaptive Insights is preferred.
- Ability to multi-task and manage various project elements simultaneously
- Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities and works with a variety of situations, individuals, groups, and varying customer needs
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, advanced Excel and database management
- Up to 15% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.