Senior Analyst, Monitoring Evaluation & Learning
Reports to: Senior Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: June 1, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water and 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
The Senior Analyst, Monitoring Evaluation & Learning (“MEL”) will manage and support the development of MEL governance and strategy that enables Water.org to track and understand its impacts. The role will include tailoring MEL frameworks to specific programs and geographies, creating and updating monitoring and governance processes and protocols, and supporting International Program's functional and program teams on MEL activities. The Senior Analyst, MEL will report to the Senior Manager, MEL and will work closely with various teams within International Programs, including program teams in the US and global offices, WaterCredit Adoption, Enabling Partnerships, and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL). This position will be based in Kansas City, MO (headquarters).
MEL Governance and Strategy
- Develop and tailor MEL frameworks to specific programs, interventions, and grants including direct implementation, practice and policy change. This includes working with the programs team to develop MEL action plans and maintain global minimum standards.
- Support the global MEL strategy and framework.
- Develop and update processes, protocols and tools for monitoring, evaluation and learning activities.
- Provide training and ongoing support to program teams in U.S. and global offices related to understanding and implementing MEL efforts including frameworks, impact validation and program monitoring visits, and processes and protocols.
- Support the institutionalizing of decentralized MEL in country offices including working with in-country MEL lead.
- Support the development of learning products and dissemination plans.
- Manage and support country offices and third-party consultants conducting program monitoring visits and evaluations.
- Oversee MEL-related activities funded by restricted donor grants and assist Strategic Alliances team in MEL-related donor management efforts.
- Participate in strategic development and operations planning activities, including annual budget development and management.
- Represent Water.org as principal MEL subject matter expert externally, as applicable.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Make recommendations to the Senior Manager, MEL on monitoring, evaluation and learning governance and strategy.
- Has authority and decision making on projects and activities managed.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- MEL fluency – Knowledgeable of and keeps abreast of new MEL methodologies and best practices.
- Interpersonal skills – Ability to work cross-culturally and with non-native English speakers
- Flexibility – Amendable to taking early morning and evening work calls as needed and responding to tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, international or organizational development, health, economics, business, policy, or related field. Master’s degree in listed fields is preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant professional experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning; project management; and survey development, data collection, data analysis
- Previous experience living or working in developing countries or experience working with colleagues in developing countries is preferred.
- Demonstrated familiarity with quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis, understanding of sample size calculations and methods and how to interpret data based on them, and experience developing surveys.
- Demonstrated ability to succinctly and clearly explain complex topics internally and externally, and able to gain trust required for form stakeholder consensus.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage guidelines, policies, and procedures
- Demonstrated experience with various software and applications including Microsoft, spreadsheets, and databases
- Demonstrated experience with ability to collect and analyze information, problem-solve, and make decisions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including conflict management
- Strong project management skills
Up to 15% of domestic and global travel to program locations and global Water.org offices.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.