Senior Corporate Accountant
Reports to: Controller
Location: Kansas City, MO
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Senior Corporate Accountant is primarily responsible for supporting the development and execution of a variety of general accounting principles, practices and procedures critical to ensuring accurate and timely month end close and organizational operations. They will assist with the annual audit, development of corporate budgets, preparation of annual 990 tax return and other accounting related activities.
This position includes varying elements of payroll, cash management, and payables function oversight and responsibilities including, reviewing, coordinating, and executing payroll and compliance activities for Water.org’s US multi-state and international payroll and accounting. The position also partners with our donor care function to ensure timely and accurate donation processing, adherence of regulations related to receipting of donors, and guidance pertaining to non-routine transactions.
The Senior Corporate Accountant will work alongside other Headquarters Finance team members and report to the Controller. They will partner with the Human Resources team to build processes to allow Water.org to scale and provide input on any business changes, which will directly guide the global accounting function. Similarly, will regularly collaborate across the organization in support of special projects as assigned.
The Senior Corporate Accountant is based in Kansas City, MO.
Financial Management (45%)
- Business Partnership – Build strong customer relationships and trust with all internal stakeholders while maintaining fiduciary control over related processes.
- Collaborate with Controller and Global Finance team, external audit firm, and auditors to provide accurate and timely schedules and other requested information.
- Keep abreast of all relevant federal and local law changes, Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) changes, and other regulatory changes.
- Ensure timely monthly closing of the general ledger, including assisting in the review
- and approval of journal entries.
- Ascertains that all accounts within the balance sheet are balanced to detail ledgers or worksheets by reviewing balance sheet reconciliations monthly.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the global financial software applications (Raiser's Edge, Financial Edge, Paylocity, QuickBooks, TSheets, Zoho) and ensures efficient workflows through the setup of the general ledger structure and use of applicable software modules.
- Oversee timely and accurate payment of all properly documented and approved payables.
- Promote process improvement initiatives to achieve additional effectiveness in routine duties of global finance team
- Engage external auditors in discussion on technical accounting issues and drive resolution on acceptable accounting treatment.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine transactions.
- Support Cash Management processes.
- Ensure monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting processes are consolidated, reviewed, and approved at the headquarter level.
Corporate Accounting (40%)
- Perform bank and investment reconciliations and prepare applicable journal entries.
- Collaborate with Global Finance team to ensure timely monthly closing of general ledger, including assisting in the reviewing and approving of journal entries.
- Aid in the execution of annual audit and preparation of audit and tax return work papers.
- Contribute to the development of annual corporate budget and monthly forecasting.
- Analyze the effect of statutory accounting practices and studies regulations and guidance to ensure correct application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Collaborate with other Global Finance team members to support and enable department accounting controls and processes to meet overall goals and objectives.
- Assist with the development and implementation of new processes and procedures to enhance the workflow and productivity of the organization.
Payroll & Payables Collaboration and Oversight (15%)
- In collaboration with Controller, will oversee and perform semi-monthly operations to ensure US payroll is completed accurately and on-time.
- Ensure compliance with US federal, state, and local legal requirements for each jurisdiction in which we have employees, through understanding of existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; and advising management on necessary actions.
- Partner with the international finance lead to review current global payroll procedures and collaborate on recommendations and process improvements to establish best practices.
- Partner with the international finance lead to monitor and review global payroll accounts and associated reconciliations to verify accuracy and prepare appropriate corrections and/or journal entries for month end; record transactions as required.
- Partner with HR to ensure the processing of new hires, transfers, promotions, and terminations are accurate and timely.
- Respond to payroll inquiries and requests from staff and other internal and external users of payroll data. Researches and troubleshoots payroll discrepancies and resolves any payroll related issues.
- Resolves any issues related to payroll tax payments and reviews annual W-2 tax documents for accurate reporting prior to distribution.
- Collaborates and communicates actively with Human Resources on cross-departmental initiatives and objectives.
- Stays current on payroll system to achieve alignment with Human Resources to ensure effective payroll and accounting support.
- Monitors and maintains paid time-off and benefit accruals.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Financial Acumen – Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- CPA or CMA required.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of professional accounting experience, nonprofit accounting knowledge a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years payroll and payables experience/exposure.
- Audit and tax filing experience preferred.
- 1+ years supervisory or oversight of accounting staff a plus
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Advanced Excel and database management.
- Knowledge of Financial Edge general ledger and Raiser’s Edge donor database software preferred.
- Knowledge of Paylocity payroll system software preferred.
- No domestic or global travel expected for this role at this time.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.