Senior Financial Sector Specialist
Reports to: Senior Strategist, WaterCredit Adoption
Location: Kansas City, MO or San Francisco, CA
Effective: Oct. 19, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Senior Financial Sector Specialist will contribute to the development of our technical assistance to financial institutions by developing a range of materials for the audience and supporting staff with technical assistance implementation. The Specialist’s work is intended to support the scale of the WaterCredit model across institutions and countries. The position will collaborate with leaders and individual contributors across the International Programs (“IP”) teams globally, cross functional teams within Water.org, and external stakeholders. This position will be based in Kansas City, MO (headquarters).
- Conduct research for the generation of new communications focused collateral for financial audiences.
- Monitor new publications relevant to finance and WSS sector practitioner stakeholders. Collect and disseminate evidence resources.
- Collect and monitor global data, trends, and lessons relevant to finance and WSS sector practitioners.
- Collaborate with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (“MEL”) team to develop and refine indicators to measure impact.
- Development of evidence that supports the implementation and scale of WaterCredit Adoption (“WCAD”)
- Collaborate with the MEL team and other internal stakeholders to devise the plan for generating evidence relevant to practitioners, as well as manage and/or contribute to the research, analysis, and dissemination of relevant evidence.
- Ensure that WaterCredit Adoption feedback and learning plans are implemented in all countries of operation; aggregate feedback on these plans at the global level.
- Create content for communications collateral pieces for practitioner audiences and manage plan for material creation.
Development of materials, tools and templates
- Support the development of a suite of technical assistance materials intended to enable practitioners to adopt the WaterCredit model.
- Manage the modification of technical assistance materials at the country/region level to meet the needs of different audiences.
- Maintain version control of existing and newly developed technical assistance materials.
Support knowledge sharing with external audiences
- Support the provision of technical assistance to financial practitioners who are adopting water and sanitation lending.
- Provide guidance and advice to internal country staff on the development and implementation of the WaterCredit Adoption model. Play a key role in the development and management of e-learning resources.
- Manage practitioner resource library and maintain database of internal and external communication resources.
- Acquire new resources developed at country level on a regular basis and ensure central accessibility of those resources.
- Support sharing the evidence base data with external stakeholders and with collaborating institutions through partnership formation, maintenance and participation in public events.
Support WCAD knowledge-sharing within Water.org
- Collaborate with the Senior Learning Specialist to support the creation of a practitioner-oriented learning community within Water.org, which may include supporting learning exchanges, knowledge sharing among internal team members involved with WaterCredit Adoption implementation, and sharing of WCAD lessons, resources and updates with all staff.
- Collaborate with the Learning and Development Manager in Human Resources to upload all materials relevant to staff to an internal learning server.
Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity - Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Global Perspective – Taking a broad view when approaching issues, using a global lens.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Manages Complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Decision Quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Bachelor’s degree in industry relevant field. Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum 6 years of experience working within or advising financial institutions in developing countries required.
- Fluency in at least one language other than English. Additional languages desirable. Substantial experience working in global environments with the demonstrated ability to implement work in diverse environments.
- Experience developing presentations, training material, and other materials for financial institutions.
- Experience with online training platforms, video production and editing and/or social media a plus.
- Literate in research methods. Ability to analyze and synthesize evidence in language that resonates with target audiences.
- Precise attention to detail.
- Consulting experience and product development experience are desirable.
- Understanding of water and sanitation sector a plus.
Position may involve travel of 30%, possibly more.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.