Senior Human Resources Generalist
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: June 9, 2017
663 million people – about one in ten – lack access to safe water. 2.4
billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to
change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the
world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we
believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share
in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas
City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the
world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and
Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the
global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health
and communities a future.
The Sr. Human Resources Generalist will serve as a critical member of the HR team to ensure Water.org is and remains a stimulating, rewarding and innovative place to work. The Sr. HR Generalist will collaborate and integrate service delivery to ensure consistency in philosophies and alignment with business goals. S/he will perform professional level HR related duties in a fast paced environment by working closely with HR team members and organizational leaders in support of a rapidly growing, global workforce. This position will deliver HR expertise in a variety of areas with emphasis on performance management, engagement, employee relations, compliance, and leave management.
Performance and succession management (30%)
- Manages administration and communications for performance management program
- Partners with managers and team members to ensure timely completion of performance management deliverables
- Partners with leaders and learning and development function to carry out succession management activities
- Makes recommendations to ensure continuous improvement to maintain alignment to best practice.
Compliance and data management (25%)
- Manages HR policy updates globally. Ensures policies are: up to date, legal, relevant to the business, and aligned to organizational and local culture.
- Partners with management to communicate policies, procedures, programs, and laws.
- Partners with Finance and other HR functions to manage HR metrics tracking.
- Leads HR reporting function to deliver standard and ad hoc reports to leadership and other functions.
Strategic initiatives (25%)
- Partners with Director of HR to support priority strategic business initiatives
Employee engagement + relations (15%)
- Manages employee engagement survey administration and communications.
- Recommends and administers employee engagement programming.
- Conducts exit interviews, summarizes findings, and discusses trends and concerns with senior management.
- Investigates, documents, and manages team member issues.
- Provides guidance to managers, supervisors, and employees regarding laws, regulations, policies, procedures and practices related to employee relations matters.
Leave administration (5%)
- Serves as subject matter expert for all leave types
- Interprets and administers leave policies and programs in accordance with applicable employment laws
- Acts as primary point of contact for employees. Coordinates administration of all employee leaves.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Internal interfaces will include managers and team members from across the organization
- External interfaces are limited, but will include vendor relationship management
Skills and competencies
- Consultative Skills – Builds constructive relationships; works as proactive advisor; acts with diplomacy and tact and is direct and truthful; responds effectively to the reactions and positions of others.
- Business Insight – Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
- Global Perspective – Taking a broad view when approaching issues, using a global lens.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field required
- Minimum of six years of generalist and/or specialist experience required
- Broad HR knowledge required
- General knowledge of employment laws and practices required
- Specialized knowledge in development and administration of performance and succession management programs, engagement measurement and initiatives, employee relations, and reporting required
- Demonstrated experience leading and implementing strategic level HR initiatives required
- Strong Microsoft Office Skills required
- Experience with international HR operations strongly preferred
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP Certification preferred
Minimal travel required; up to 5%
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.