Senior Project Specialist, Office of the CEO
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: Feb. 1, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Sr. Project Specialist, Office of the CEO’s main responsibilities are to support the project management and internal communication needs of the CEO and Chief of Staff across Water.org and WaterEquity. The Sr. Project Specialist is a crucial member of the Office of the CEO team and adds to the overall effectiveness and impact of Water.org and WaterEquity by providing ongoing and day-to-day connection to both organizations, primarily in the context of ensuring strategic ideas and opportunities are well articulated, scoped and managed. This position also supports the overall vision of Water.org and WaterEquity by ensuring that initiatives and their pursuit are aligned with our strong social entrepreneurial culture.
- Provide logical, innovative, and creative solutions to meet the needs and demands of the Office of the CEO without explicit instruction or direct oversight.
- Work with Chief of Staff to keep the CEO informed of progress against key initiatives, identify opportunities, and troubleshoot issues across Water.org and WaterEquity.
- Lead high-level, strategic projects that support the overall success of the Office of the CEO while also providing project support for additional initiatives.
- Monitor progress against initiatives within the CEO’s purview, and team with the Chief of Staff on confidential or time sensitive projects as required. Provide project status updates and raise flags as necessary.
- Provide operational support for initiatives led by the Office of the CEO; including attending meetings, capturing and disseminate notes and action item summaries.
- Provide operational support and process improvement by developing tools and procedures that enhance coordination within the Office of the CEO team and across Water.org and WaterEquity teams.
- Develop draft communications and presentations on behalf of the CEO and/or Chief of Staff and conduct supportive research, analysis, and synthesis of information as needed.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Balances Stakeholders - Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Manages Ambiguity - Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Directs Work – Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Manages Conflict – Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Bachelor’s degree required in international development/politics, business, or other discipline requiring both strong analytical and presentation skills. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- 6+ years of experience in project management, particularly complex projects involving multiple steps and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to design, launch, and scale new projects and initiatives.
- Strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience analyzing and synthesizing complex data and presenting insights in a clear and compelling manner.
- Demonstrated success working across levels internally and externally; professionalism, strategic mindset and strong judgment required.
- Ability to coalesce disparate information and inputs into a concise path forward; demonstrated success in translating knowledge and context into action and outcomes.
- Demonstrated success in developing processes and process improvements that enhance team effectiveness.
- Entrepreneurial spirit; ability to work independently, yet know when to seek support.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Solid global orientation is required; experience working in matrixed global organizations.
- Understanding of and passion for financial markets, international development, and/or impact investing preferred.
- May require up to 5% domestic and international travel to support organizational meetings, events, and site visits.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.