Senior Regional Manager, South Asia
Reports to: Global Operations Director, International Programs
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: Aug. 2, 2017
663 million people – about
one in ten – lack access to safe water. 2.4 billion people don’t have access to
a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here
to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible
and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a
better life that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international
nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively
transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and
sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering
market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25
years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
The Senior Regional Manager is a management position that is directly accountable and/or responsible for leadership of regional strategy mobilization and program execution, country office operations, and human resources management in assigned region. S/he is additionally responsible for contributing to organizational initiatives.
Develop, scale and sustain partnerships for impact (30%)
Oversee development, execution, and sustained growth of partnerships and priorities for impact in assigned countries. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure performance on spending, deliverables, and impact within regional and country programs.
- Implement strategy for scaling and sustaining WSS finance-based programs models, working in partnership with a variety of financial and non-financial practitioners across assigned countries through philanthropic partnerships. Cultivate potential future partnership opportunities for direct partnership and/or collaboration with these institutions.
- Identify avenues for debt/equity investment, credit enhancements, and public/private investment partnerships among existing and new potential partners.
- Contribute to in-country efforts to galvanize productive changes in policies and investment practices that facilitate access to financing for water and sanitation solutions.
- Lead and/or contribute to design of new grants and programs.
- Represent the organization at various sector, professional and related forums and conferences, as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with global standards and best practices for monitoring, evaluation, and learning across assigned region.
Workforce management (25%)
Manage workforce within assigned region (both U.S. and international-based staff), including recruitment, staff compensation, performance management, and professional development.
- Maintain adequate staffing levels in the assigned region in accordance with approved budget. Manage recruitment, job training, and onboarding processes for US-based staff members and Country Directors, and contract with consultants as needed to temporarily fill staffing gaps.
- Establish and maintain an empowering, productive, and collaborative environment for U.S. and international staff by providing clear performance goals, offering regular, specific feedback on job performance, organizing team meetings and retreats, and working with individual direct reports to set and achieve professional development goals.
- Coordinate the performance management process for assigned region by working with direct reports to develop annual goals and assessing them against their goals annually in accordance with Water.org HR processes.
International office management (25%)
Manage international office operations, compliance with local legal
requirements, and human resources of assigned country office. Key activities include,
but are not limited to:
- Organize and support local boards, including meetings, activities, communications and legal documents in assigned region as required.
- Develop annual regional work plan and budget, approve expenditures for the region consistent with Water.org’s delegation of authority policy, and monitor actual regional expenditures against budget to ensure appropriate spending is maintained. Review and approve country-level annual work plans and budgets.
- Ensure local office requirements are in place such as legal registration, bank accounts and office space. Ensure governmental reporting requirements and obligations are met to maintain legal entity in good standing in country offices in assigned region. Assess office security and approve security measures to protect staff and organizational assets as needed.
Organizational support and fundraising (20%)
Support implementation of organizational priorities, including fundraising and donor relationship management for program implementation in assigned region.
- Provide regional and/or country expertise on new research, publications and/or external engagements.
- Participate in donor meetings and calls to provide program updates.
- Provide programmatic content for concept notes and proposals to potential donors. Develop initiative and/or program budgets for funding proposals and provide programmatic content for funding proposals.
- Support fundraising activities to secure funds for piloting and/or implementing new channels or program models.
- Participate in program and/or initiative review meetings with the Strategic Alliances team to update stakeholders on initiative and/or program progress.
- Review and approve program content for external publication and communication.
Positions receiving direction include:
- Country Director
- Senior Portfolio Manager
- Portfolio Manager
Skills and competencies
- Ensures Accountability – Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Action Oriented – Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Manages Ambiguity – Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Business Insight – Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
- Courage – Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Decision Quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Drives Engagement – Creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
- Demonstrates Financial Stewardship – Engages in fiscally responsible decision making on behalf of the organization
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Master's degree or PhD in a related field required. Additional relevant certifications, trainings and coursework also considered and preferred.
- Minimum ten years of professional work experience, and at least ten years of relevant experience within the finance, WSS or international economic development sectors.
- Minimum five years in an executive or senior management position required and experience managing personnel located at remote locations preferred.
- At least ten years of project and program management-related experience required.
- Experience managing and expanding successful projects and programs in assigned region required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in facilitation and capacity building skills to ensure collaboration and linkages between staff, donors, partners and stakeholders.
- Foreign language proficiency in one or more languages in assigned region preferred.
- Must have US citizenship, permanent residency, or an H1-B work visa.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment.