Senior Strategic Development Officer
Location: West Coast, preferably San Francisco, CA
One in nine people around the world lack access to safe water and one in three people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For 30 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Senior Strategic Development Officer is an individual contributor role, responsible for contributing to building strategic fundraising partnerships that will help shape the next stage of evolution and growth at Water.org. These partnerships will include multi-national corporations, foundations and individuals – with an emphasis on high net worth individuals. The ideal candidate will thrive on the identification, cultivation, and securing of gifts that drive impact and revenue. The uniquely skilled individual must possess strong collaboration and relationship building skills in support of developing effective working relationships across all departments at Water.org.
The Senior Strategic Development Officer will be based on the West Coast, preferably San Francisco, CA.
Strategic Relationship Management (80%)
- Establish and own new, high-impact, fundraising partnerships with a focus on high net worth individuals (HNWIs).
- Support the Senior Strategic Development Officers to manage a portfolio of existing donors to maintain strong relationships that deepen and grow over time.
- Help establish strategies for securing a robust base of HNWIs partners.
- Strategically collaborate to meet individual, department, and organizational fundraising goals, targeting gifts in the six-figure+ range.
- With the fundraising team, develop and implement effective outreach strategies to pursue partnerships that support the expansion of Water.org’s programs and operations worldwide.
- Establish and display a thorough understanding of Water.org's scaling strategy, footprint, structure and unique selling points across its markets.
- Assess and track donor behavior on an ongoing basis, prioritizing outreach and communication to each donor accordingly.
- Develop timely revenue projections and provide complete, accurate internal reporting on donor outreach and activities.
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with internal stakeholders, including management and program staff within Water.org, to develop comprehensive partnerships that drive revenue growth and advance Water.org's global scaling strategy.
- Meet annual revenue targets, determined in partnership with fundraising leadership team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Donor Reporting (20%)
- Collaborate with the Grants Management team to develop and review written proposals and progress reports, connecting donor interests to Water.org's in-country programs.
- Collaborate with Water.org's marketing and communications team to develop tailored strategies for funders that lead to awareness, understanding, and appreciation of Water.org's efforts worldwide.
- Support Senior Strategic Development Officers with donor reporting.
Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Builds Networks – Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Business Insight – Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Situational Adaptability – Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Cultivates Innovation – Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Bachelor’s degree; industry experience equivalency considered.
- 6-9 years of progressive front-line experience in fundraising, complex sales relationships, and/or business development.
- Strong understanding of international development preferred. Additional consideration given for experience/knowledge in related sectors, esp. Microfinance, water and sanitation, and CSR and ESG.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required. Experience with Office 365 (e.g., SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams) preferred.
Up to 30% of domestic and global travel. Estimated travel may be higher if incumbent is based outside of San Francisco, CA. Travel will commence as is advisable given business needs and safety considerations as determined by organizational guidelines.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.