Reports to: Manager, International Accounting
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: May 23, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Staff Accountant within the Global Finance Team is primarily responsible for supporting and coordinating the financial and accounting activities for an assigned portfolio of grants, Water.org global offices, and, as needed, US operations. The Staff Accountant will work closely with internal team members to support the proposal and post-award grant administration, ensuring appropriate financial management of grant funds. This accountant will also collaborate with global team members to facilitate financial reporting, analysis, and management practices within our global offices; resulting in enhanced efficiency and compliant practices. This Staff Accountant is established to work in close collaboration with cross-departmental and cross-geographical stakeholders in support of the financial success and accuracy of Water.org’s endeavors.
The Staff Accountant is based in Kansas City, MO.
Grants Collaboration and Coordination (45%)
- Serve as primary Finance lead for assigned private, public, and government grants.
- In collaboration with cross-functional stakeholders, develop forecasts and budgets for grant proposals and ensure accurate representation of grant-supported activities.
- Produce grant-related post-award functions, including financial monitoring, expense analysis reporting, variances identification/explanation, reconciliations, re-budgeting, and grant closeout functions.
- Review journal entries applied to grant funds for allowable, reasonable, and compliant expenses and ensure proper expense coding. Collaborate with internal team members when expenses need to be confirmed or corrected.
- Advise internal team members on best practices with grant expenses and pseudo-grant expenses.
- Proactively prepare and communicate accurate and timely reports on assigned grants to internal stakeholders.
- Communicate monthly financial results with appropriate internal stakeholders, informing them of financial position of the project.
- Prepare accurate and timely reports to donors as required
- Perform ad-hoc financial analysis in response to requests or to provide support to various programs.
- Ensure compliance of grants with Water.org policies and procedures; as well as donor regulations.
- Maintain grant fiscal records and database.
- Perform other grant finance related activities as assigned.
Global Accounting Support and Facilitation (45%)
- Collaborate with finance and accounting leads in assigned global offices to ensure accurate record of financial activity; including offices expenses, general ledger, and reconciliations.
- Review global current wires for accuracy and process wires accordingly.
- Monitor, review, and report on the financial activity of global offices relative to annual budget.
- Review and reconcile foreign bank accounts for accuracy and proper reporting processes.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of month-end, quarter-end, and annual financial reports.
- Ensure financial accountability and integrity of global office operations, as well as adherence to Global Finance policies, procedures, and standards.
- Provide support to global offices for required audits as required.
- Serve as a back-up for Global Finance team as needed.
- Maintain fiscal records, reports, and data for global offices as required.
- Advise financial professionals in global offices on best practices regarding general accounting practices.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for financial process and practice enhancements.
- Perform other global accounting and finance related activities as assigned.
US Accounting Support and Facilitation (10%)
- Perform a regular and recurring general accounting functions as required.
- Reconcile various balance sheet accounts and prepare entries to general ledger accounts in assistance with month-end closing.
- Assists in the preparation for the annual audit; including preparing audit schedules and producing requested documentation.
- Compile general financial and accounting related reports requested by external parties.
- Assist Donor Database Specialist with daily gift batch entry as needed.
- Produce ad-hoc reporting and special project analysis and reporting as assigned.
- Perform other US accounting and finance related activities as assigned.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Serve as source of record on assigned grants.
- Produce accurate and timely grant-related reports to internal and external stakeholders.
- Produce accurate and timely financial analysis and reports for global offices.
- Advise internal stakeholders on Finance policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, driving each to timely completion.
Skills and competencies
- Financial Acumen – Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Global Perspective – Taking a broad view when approaching issues, using a global lens.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting, Finance, Economic, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
- Recent professional experience in accounting, finance, or a related field with demonstrated knowledge of accounting functions, such as balance sheet reconciliations, budgeting, forecasting, and/or financial reporting.
- Previous experience planning, prioritizing, and managing multiple projects simultaneously while meeting varying deadlines successfully.
- General understanding of GAAP is required.
- Proficiency with an accounting software and comprehensive database systems is required. Specific experience with Financial Edge, QuickBooks, Adaptive, Zoho, and/or T-Sheets is preferred.
- Demonstratable skill in researching, analyzing, evaluating, and summarizing complex financial data for accuracy and adherence to guidelines.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly and concisely to multi-geographical stakeholders.
- High level of detail orientation.
- Strong analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with MS Office package software applications with advanced skills using Microsoft Excel.
- Up to 5% of domestic travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.