Reports to: Manager of Corporate Accounting
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: Feb. 1, 2019
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Staff Accountant must possess strong time management and analytical skills, attention to detail and solid communication abilities. Able to learn processes and procedures quickly and perform responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Prepare and record semi-monthly payroll.
- Stay current with applicable labor legislation and tax regulations including, but not limited to, federal, state, local and Family Medical Leave Act, etc.
- Stay up-to-date with labor legislation and any changes in employee insurance and tax regulations.
- Perform a variety of regular and recurring accounting functions requiring professional competency.
- Reconcile various balance sheet accounts and compile and prepare entries to general ledger accounts to assist with month-end close process.
- Use judgment and professional skills in determining appropriate procedures for preparation of accounting records, research analysis of transactions and reporting.
- Communicate with staff regarding their requests and inquiries related to timesheet and paystub information.
- Work with payroll service to resolve any issues related to payroll tax payments.
- Assist with the preparation of annual audit work papers.
- Reconcile bank accounts.
- Assist Database Coordinator with daily gift batch entry in fundraising software, Raiser’s Edge.
- Perform ad-hoc reporting and special projects as assigned.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently, meeting all related deadlines.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate and manage work.
- Able to work with both detailed and minimal instruction and communicate work progress regularly.
- Commitment to ethical standards.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Proficient in accounting and database systems with experience in Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge and/ or Paylocity preferred.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel.
- Up to 5% of domestic and global travel. Travel destinations could include global Water.org offices and domestic conferences.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.