Strategic Development Specialist
Location: Remote (New York)
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empower a bright future that we can all share, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Strategic Development Specialist serves as a member of the Strategic Development team within the Revenue Department to help advance the department’s goals to grow philanthropic relationships and revenue within strategic donor segments. This multi-faceted position contributes to delivery of an outstanding experience for Water.org’s strategic philanthropic partners and supporters and coordinates implementation of projects, planning and events related to donor engagement and recognition.
- Multi-Channel Revenue Generation
- Philanthropic Partnerships
- Donor Engagement & Grant Stewardship
- Development Operations & Planning
- Brand Marketing & Communication
- Campaigns & Event Management
- Strategy & Stakeholder Engagement
- Analysis, Modeling & Reporting
Donor Engagement Strategy Support
Coordinate implementation and optimization of a cohesive Donor Engagement strategy in collaboration with frontline fundraisers and relationship managers. Ensure effective planning systems are established and maintained to meet or exceed metrics and related strategic objectives on engagement with key donor segments.
Project & Event Management
Lead planning and execution of strategic engagement events for current and prospective partners and supporters, ensuring successful delivery of a unique experience tailored to specific audiences and stakeholders.
Donor Communication + Recognition
Collaborate closely with the Marketing and Brand Communication and Development Operations + Planning teams to conceive and implement targeted communications, stewardship, and donor recognition/appreciation efforts to deepen engagement and support. Support gift acknowledgement and prospect outreach processes for assigned portfolio of donors and prospects when needed.
Serve as a liaison between the Strategic Development team and other teams/departments to coordinate strategies and tactics for donor communication, stewardship and other engagement objectives, projects and/or events. May participate in other assigned work groups, projects, and/or committees, interacting with individuals or groups representing diverse backgrounds, interests, and points of view.
Complexity + Problem Solving Skills
- Ability to execute events and projects tailored to specific donor segments, such as Ultra High Net Worth Individuals/High Net Worth Individuals and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Superior planning and presentation skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to build and maintain constructive and effective relationships with a broad and diverse range of stakeholders
Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of scope, stakeholders and linkages for every project, duty or responsibility but is intended to highlight internal or external processes, functions and jobs/roles that are expected to regularly interact with this position to deliver work. Scope may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Customer Focus – Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Optimizes Work Processes – Knows the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Communicates Effectively – Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Values Differences – Recognizes the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Nimble Learning – Learns through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, communication, project management or related field and/or equivalent related work experience.
- At least three years of progressive experience in a complex global organization, leading implementation of tailored donor engagement and recognition events and projects.
- Foundational knowledge of the UHNWI/HNWI donor segment.
- Proficient (written and verbal) in English.
Up to 25% of domestic travel.
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Type and Estimated Length of Employment
Full-time, permanent employment
Salary and Benefits
This position offers a base salary range of $65,000-85,000. In addition, this position is eligible to participate in our annual incentive plan. This position offers full-time benefits inclusive of medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program, paid time off, paid holidays and more as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. This position offers country-specific benefits and market-based, competitive salary as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.