WaterConnect – Technical Staff – Engineering
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For 30 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Program Manager – WaterConnect – Engineering within the Global Operations department will work closely with the Water.org team to meet with water utilities, assess their needs, and provide technical assistance thru training and mentoring to improve their institutional capacities in marketing its services, operate its water network, and maintain the whole water system.
The Program Manager – WaterConnect - Engineering is based in the Philippines.
Technical Assistance (30%)
- Assist/support the technical requirements of planning activities (i.e. business planning and project management planning) of partner utilities.
- Advise utilities in improving operational performance – water pressure, 24/7 availability, and water quality to improve customer satisfaction.
- Assist in the preparation of feasibility studies and detailed engineering designs and support in documentation (engineering) for loan applications with FIs.
- Review the engineering component of a Feasibility Study and Investment Proposal.
- Identify and mobilize external technical consultants to deliver other technical services required by partners as needed or on a case-to-case basis.
- Collect, collate, and analyze relevant existing data and information to determine the technical constraints of water utilities.
- Conduct trainings that will improve operational readiness of utilities such as Water Demand Management, Business Planning, Project Management Planning, Operational Management, etc.
- Refer utility partners to relevant training opportunities.
Linkage Building (30%)
- Identify opportunities to link utilities to external Technical Service Providers.
- Support partner utilities in the implementation of collaboration agreements with partner development institutions.
Monitoring and Reporting (10%)
- Monitor the progress of training and technical assistance given to utilities.
- Report the updates and progress.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Engineering
- 5-10 years of professional experience work on Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector
- Excellent communication, presentation and training facilitation skills and experience mentoring utilities required
- An understanding of the issues faced by water utilities including the WASH sector in the country
- Ability to develop training modules and materials
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.