Surveys from 45 developing countries show that women and children bear the primary responsibility for water collection in the majority of households. This is time not spent working at an income-generating job, caring for family members, or attending school.2
443 million school days are lost each year due to water-related illness.5
Diarrhea is the second leading cause of death among children under five in the world. Around 1.5 million deaths each year - nearly one in five – are caused by diarrhea. It kills more children than malaria, AIDS, and measles combined. 1
Every 21 seconds, a child dies from diarrhea.1
An estimated 4,100 children under the age of five die each day from diarrhea globally.1 Malnutrition, due to dirty water, inadequate sanitation, and hygiene, is estimated to lead to death in an additional 2,350 children under the age of five each day.3
Nearly 1.5 million children under the age of five die every year from diarrhea globally.1
It is estimated that in the 1980s a child died approximately every six seconds from diarrhea1
90% of the deaths due to diarrheal diseases are children under 5 years old, mostly in developing countries. 4
Resource LinksLook for more facts in our collection of Water Resource Links.
- Estimated with data from Diarhhoea: Why children are still dying and what can be done. UNICEF, WHO 2009
- Estimated with data from WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) for Water Supply and Sanitation. (2012). Progress on Sanitation and Drinking-Water, 2012 Update.
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2008). Safer Water, Better Health: Costs, benefits, and sustainability of interventions to protect and promote health; Updated Table 1: WSH deaths by region, 2004.
- UN Water. (2008). Tackling a global crisis: International Year of Sanitation 2008
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). (2006). Human Development Report 2006, Beyond Scarcity: Power, poverty and the global water crisis
Do Something About It
There is no shortage of ways you can make a difference
Make a direct impact by involving your friends online and together we will make a difference. More »
Your voice has the power to make a difference. Signup and spread the message online. More »