Global Water Crisis: Water And Sanitation FactsShare
663 million people - 1 in 10 - lack access to safe water.1,2
2.4 billion people - 1 in 3 - lack access to a toilet.1,2
Twice the population of the United States lives without access to safe water.1,2
1/3 of the global population lives without access to a toilet.1,2
More people have a mobile phone than a toilet.1,3
A review of rural water system sustainability in eight countries in Africa, South Asia, and Central America found an average water project failure rate of 20 - 40 percent.4
Globally, 1/3 of all schools lack access to safe water and adequate sanitation.1
In low and middle-income countries, 1/3 of all healthcare facilities lack a safe water source.1
The water crisis is the #1 global risk based on impact to society (as a measure of devastation), as announced by the World Economic Forum in January 2015. 5
Resource LinksLook for more facts in our collection of Water Resource Links.
- World Health Organization and UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP). (2015) Progress on Drinking Water and Sanitation, 2015 Update and MDG Assessment.
- United States Census Bureau Estimates. (2015). United States and World Population Clock.
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU). (2015). The World in 2015 ICT Facts and Figures.
- Lockwood and Smits. (2011). Supporting Rural Water Supply. Moving towards a Service Delivery Approach.
- World Economic Forum. (2015). Global Risks 2015 Report.