Accountant - Bangladesh
Reports to: Executive Director, Bangladesh
Effective: June 17, 2021
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For 30 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Accountant within the Global Finance department is primarily responsible for overseeing and reporting on the expenditure of Water.org funds. This includes producing reports for Water.org corporate office and to meet governmental reporting requirements. Additionally, this position is responsible for providing regular monitoring of program finances by reviewing partner financial reports and conducting regular on-site financial audits at partner organizations. This position collaborates with the program officer by assisting with troubleshooting and providing information about partner programmatic expenditures and alerting her/him of any issues. Additionally, this position may be responsible for assisting with the development and establishment of new programmatic and operational procedures, systems and guidelines. This position reports to the Country Director and works closely with the Finance team and Program Mangers at the Water.org corporate office.
The Accountant is based in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Accounting/Financial Management (45%)
Ensures proper accounting for all Water.org Bangladesh office expenditures, including maintaining books of account, bank accounts, Water.org reporting and government reporting. Key tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Ensures all Water.org Bangladesh income and expenditures are recorded properly in accounting software.
- Ensures all office financial transactions have proper back up documentation.
- Oversees the use of office petty cash.
- Manages staff expense reports and ensures proper documentation, backup receipts and bills are included.
- Oversees staff payroll.
- Ensures all reporting to Water.org corporate office is completed accurately and on time.
- Ensures all required government reporting is completed accurately and one time.
Assesses the use of programmatic funding by conducting regular desk reviews and on-site audits of Water.org partner organizations according to Water.org guidelines. Key tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Develops a regular audit schedule for all partners in accordance with Water.org guidelines.
- Conducts regular financial desk reviews of partner financial reports and shares findings with partners, program officer and program managers.
- Conducts regular on-site financial audits of partner financial transactions and documentation and shares findings with partners, program officer and program managers.
Risk Management (12%)
Mitigates potential and actual organizational risks by monitoring areas of high risk (including by not limited to internal use of funds, use of funds by partners, governmental requirements, compliance with labor laws, and organizational reputation). Key tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Develops a list of key areas of risk (e.g. internal use of funds, internal controls, governmental requirements, partners’ use of programmatic funds, etc.) and ensures adequate monitoring of each is in place.
- Ensures organizational risk is limited by immediately alerting the Program Officer, US Program Manager, Country Director and/or Senior International Program Manager when issues arise with partners’ use of programmatic funds.
- Mitigates internal risk by immediately notifying the Country Director and/or the Senior International Program Manager in the event of any internal issues related to identified risk areas.
Organizational Support (3%)
Participates in assisting with the development of new tools and processes, membership on cross-functional committees as requested, and/or participation at internal or external conferences or workshops. Key tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Participates in cross-functional committees and working groups to support the achievement of group goals.
- Assists in the development of new tools, processes and/or procedures to gain efficiencies in the execution of work.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Ensures Accountability – Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Action Oriented – Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Master’s Degree required in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in accounting, finance, or a related field with demonstrated knowledge of accounting functions, such as balance sheet reconciliations, budgeting, forecasting, and/or financial reporting.
- Financial audit experience.
- Experience reporting to and working with institutional donors in the international development arena, particularly with respect to microfinance and/or WASH.
- Proficiency with an accounting software and comprehensive database systems is required. Specific experience with Financial Edge, QuickBooks, Adaptive, Zoho, and/or T-Sheets is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with MS Office package software applications with advanced skills using Microsoft Excel.
- Innovative mind-set oriented toward constructive problem-solving, proactive strategic planning and thought leadership.
- Strong desire to contribute to increased access to water and sanitation.
- Fluency in Bangla and English required.
- Must have Bangladesh citizenship or work permit.
Up to 15% of travel. Travel will commence as is advisable given business needs and safety considerations as determined by organizational guidelines.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers country-specific benefits and market-based, competitive salary; as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.