Reports to: Controller
Location: US Remote
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Accounting Associate within the Finance department is primarily responsible for processing accounts payable including general ledger and project coding and reconciliation. Ensure payment terms are met and vendor information is complete and up to date to ensure payments and 1099 forms can be processed without error. Payments will be made via ACH, check and wire transfer which will require confirming we are current with changing requirements. This position will work with other members of the corporate accounting team to ensure timely and accurate recording of information, compliance with established standards, procedures and applicable laws. This position will maintain the invoice portion of Concur and assist in providing expertise and training to employees on the features and functions of the software.
This position's primary location is in the Kansas City area. It is also open to remote in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Kansas and Washington, DC.
Accounts Payable (30%)
- Process, code, input and reconcile accounts payable invoices on a regular schedule, including entry to general ledger with proper coding.
- Make certain proper approvals have been received before processing payments and the amounts comply with the limits outlined in the Delegation of Authority.
- Prepare and record journal entries of payments
- Maintain vendor records with current payment details, W-9’s, and general information (name, address, tax IDs, etc.).
- Issue annual 1099 forms to vendors
Wire Transfers (30%)
- Initiate wire transfers within the banking system. Verify information is complete and proper approvals, in compliance with the Delegation of Authority are in place.
- Ensure approvals within the banking system are completed in time and wires are confirmed.
- Prepare and record entries within the vendor records in the accounting system with the payment details, including proper coding.
Accounts Receivable + Cash Management (25%)
- Prepare invoices, monitor pledges, reconcile activity
- Research and resolve payment discrepancies
- Help determine cash requirements
- Oversee bank accounts ensuring proper funding and access
- Support management in investing of funds
- Month-end journal entries and reconciliation of accounts
- Assist with preparation of audit workpapers and testing requirements
- Ensure procedural documentation is updated as needed
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or relevant work experience
- Minimum of 2 years of proven accounting experience with emphasis on accounts payable
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, proficient Excel, and database management
- Proficiency in English (written and verbal)
- Financial Edge general ledger software experience
- Experience working in Concur with expense and invoicing
- Up to 2% of domestic travel.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits inclusive of medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program; as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.