Chief Brand and Revenue Officer
Reports to: President
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: Aug. 27, 2018
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
Water.org seeks an outstanding global Chief Brand and Revenue Officer to help shape the next stage of its evolution. This unique individual must possess strategic acumen, a global perspective, and a passion for their mission to help solve one of the world’s most urgent challenges. The ideal candidate will possess a strong track record of securing resources ($50M+/year) to fuel the attainment of a bold vision and have demonstrated success in fundraising, brand and business development within a complex global context. S/he will bring an innovative mindset that has translated into brand growth and differentiation. S/he will have cultivated and maintained relationships at the highest levels within both for-profit and not-for profit organizations and will have built and managed distributed global teams. S/he will contribute fundraising expertise steeped in the cultivation of a strong brand.
This critical member of the executive management team will be instrumental to realizing the organization’s vision and desired impact. S/he will partner closely with the Chief Executive Officer, President, Board of Directors, Executive Leadership teams, Country leadership, and key external stakeholders to drive revenue while maintaining and growing brand equity and presence.
As such, this position will have accountability for Water.org’s high-performing brand, marketing, partnerships, public affairs, fundraising and grants management teams and will partner directly with leaders representing International Programs, Global Engagement and Enabler Partnerships, Finance, Administration, Technology, Human Resources and WaterEquity.
- Serve as key executive team member, contributing both broad organizational mindset and deep functional expertise to help set strategy and priorities to achieve short and long-term objectives
- Collaborate with other executive team members to build broadly-respected, highly effective non-profit organization that delivers against brand tenets and organizational goals
- Lead communications and engagement strategy for Water.org brand globally to drive global action and outcomes
- Own and deliver against revenue goals that will fuel the organization’s impact
- Innovate and deliver new ways to engage audiences and increase capital to solve the crisis
- Build and engage resources, Board, and influencers that can accelerate the organization’s success
- Ensure effective deployment of Water.org resources, directly overseeing an operating budget
- Develop and inspire talented global team to achieve ambitious brand and revenue objectives
Key pillars and responsibilities
Strategic Brand Leadership
- Lead development of five-year strategic and annual brand plans, inclusive of communications and engagement strategy for Water.org brand globally
- Work with CEO and key team members to distill and focus co-founder engagement strategy in support of five-year plan; lead talented global team members to bring strategy and plan to life
- Establish marketing and creative resources that will deliver against breadth and depth of Water.org brand and communications needs across diverse audiences.
- Manage external resources and experts to amplify internal team efforts to curate and deliver compelling messaging, content and visual representation of differentiated Water.org brand to engage key audiences and tell the story
- Collaborate with WaterEquity leadership to ensure consistency and complementarity of brand positioning, messaging, and activation of that brand relative to Water.org.
- Partner internally to develop and deliver communications that inspire and inform Water.org team and Board.
Strategic Fundraising Management
- Serve as unified lead for all Fundraising in support of Water.org’s global revenue strategy. Develop and fulfill integrated Water.org 5-year and annual strategic revenue plans that coalesce action to deliver significant revenue growth.
- Develop, align, and support team to build and diversify Water.org base of engaged supporters, donors, and lenders, expanding audiences to achieve sustainable revenue, loan and brand objectives.
- Partner with Marketing, Technology and Finance teams to ensure best of class utilization of digital platforms and customer engagement tools.
Public Affairs and Media
- Work with the CEO and Marketing teams to develop long-term strategy and annual plan to establish Water.org as a thought leader among influential audiences and shape the global agenda on water, sanitation and finance via conferences, speaking engagements, media, publications.
- Build a network of engaged influencers to catalyze change in water and sanitation across diverse segments (media, celebrity, technology, social innovators, sector leaders).
- As needed, represent Water.org externally through engagements and collaborative initiatives that further the Water.org agenda to coalesce action for and capital to the water sector.
- Lead Water.org’s Board Development and Marketing Committee
- Partner with Leadership team across functions to ensure alignment against key priorities.
- Develop and implement key processes, structure, resources, tools and communications that will facilitate effective and efficient deployment of staff and resources.
- Contribute to development of annual high-level organizational objectives and metrics. Establish and track performance metrics relevant to brand and revenue objectives.
- Serve as brand champion within Water.org team, enhancing connection to the organization and engaging team towards action.
- Develop and implement organizational structure to support the success of global functions, partnering with country offices to build and align dispersed team, with emphasis initially on India.
- Lead, mentor and develop high-performing strategic leaders and team members within marketing, public affairs, fundraising, grants management, and brand partnerships at Water.org, ensuring high-level performance and engagement.
- Strong executive leadership capabilities. Build and manage senior managers and operate successfully across departments and functions. Proven capability to manage from strategy to execution. Emotional Intelligence. Agility.
- Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates.
- Departments supervised include: Strategic Alliances, Marketing, Public Affairs, Brand Partnerships
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Strategic Mindset – Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances. Demonstrates initiative, self-starter.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives. Knows when to gain consensus and when to push forward. Team orientation; focuses on ‘we’ versus ‘I’
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Plans and Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Courage – Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Directs Work – Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Manages Conflict – Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Builds Effective Teams – Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Being Resilient – Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
Professional experience and qualifications
Candidates should embody Water.org’s values and must possess the following experience and personal characteristics:
- Minimum 20 years’ experience in progressively responsible brand marketing, revenue and fundraising leadership roles within a global entity. Blend of both for-profit and not-for-profit experience a plus. Success operating within a decentralized, matrixed organization a plus.
- Proven track record in building and establishing consumer brand across diverse audiences. Depth and breadth of experience across marketing suite of tools required, with emphasis on digital engagement and public affairs/media relations. Experience with celebrity engagement preferred but not required.
- Proven track record of building and leading team that deliver $50M+ in funds raised annually from diverse channels including at a minimum, foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Experience translating strategic vision into operational success, experience setting and measuring performance against targets within complex and evolving operational environment.
- Creative problem-solving capabilities grounded in data to deliver results. Ability to quickly digest complex information and connect dots to determine future action.
- Possess a track record of building and developing high-performing team and of self-development.
- Exceptional relationship and partnership-builder internally and across diverse organizations and levels.
- Effective and insightful communication skills, adept at inspiring and engaging teams and partners to action.
- Comfort with financial concepts, understanding of capital as a vehicle for global development, and ability to effectively and simply convey complex concepts important.
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally, estimated 20%.
Key attributes for success
- Bias for action and results, entrepreneurial spirit.
- Curious, creative thinker with track record of delivering innovative approaches and outcomes.
- Quick Study – able to distill highly complex information into essential elements.
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral. Candid, forthright.
- Adept at working within and across dispersed collaborative teams in a global context.
- Organizational problem-solver - able to look beyond functional area to build organizational strength.
- High ethical standards
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field; MBA or equivalent degree desirable.
Up to 20% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.