Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Location: US Remote
Effective: Jan. 10, 2024
1 in 4 people around the world lack access to safe water and 2 in 5 people don’t have access to a safe toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empower a bright future that we can all share, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Controller is primarily responsible for leading global accounting, corporate operations, policies, and compliance for Water.org. Ensures uniformity, in accordance with local governances and established domestic (US GAAP) and international accounting standards (IFRS), and maintenance of global accounting records as well as consistent adherence of all financial controls and standards throughout Water.org.
- Compliance, Policies & Procedures
- Corporate & Financial Oversight
- Financial Management & Planning
- Financial Systems & Applications
- Procurement & Payment
- Process Improvement
- Risk Management
Corporate & Financial Oversight
Leads development of accurate accounting and financial tracking to ensure compliance, transparency and effective financial management. This includes managing financial reporting and auditing as well as implementing and maintaining internal controls across the globe.
Strategy Formation and Implementation
Integrates financial systems and global accounting strategic plans by leading the accounting and financial controls through Water.org while adhering to global accounting policies, practices, and compliance activities.
Policies, Procedures & Guidelines
Leads and coordinates the development and delivery of financial policies, guidelines, and protocols across Water.org in response to statutory and financial requirements.
Financial Management Leadership
Serves as the global accounting, compliance, tax, and related policy subject matter expert to the organization. Takes overall responsibility for designing, developing, and delivering the organization's tax strategy.
Challenges and maximizes the strength of the team by aligning their efforts to meet objectives and deliver results. Fosters productive cross-functional collaboration to ensure cohesive effort and delivery of business outcomes.
Complexity + Problem Solving Skills
- Ability to interpret and present global financial data with logic and insight to partners across the organization.
- Ability to manage complex accounting operations in an international organization and environment.
- Ability to establish department goals and motivate and influence others to achieve.
- Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates.
- Supervised positions include: Senior Corporate Accountant, Corporate Accountant, AP Coordinator, Grant Management & Accounting Specialist
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by an incumbent in this job. Some responsibilities, activities, and people who are expected to regularly interact with the incumbent in this job may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Values Differences - Recognizes the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Strategic Mindset - Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
- Ensures Accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Builds Effective Teams - Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Instills Trust - Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Professional certification (CPA or CMA) or equivalent relevant work experience leading financial audits and international accounting.
- Ten years or more of experience of increasing complexity in accounting, preferably in a global nonprofit setting and/or multi-company environment.
- Five years or more of experience supervising individual contributors and/or teams.
- Proficient in English (written and verbal)
- Up to 25% of domestic and international travel
This position's desired location is within the United States. The following states are preferred: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregan, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Washington DC.
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Type and Estimated Length of Employment
Salary and Benefits
This position offers a base salary range of $185k-$200k. In addition, this position is eligible to participate in our annual incentive plan up to 20%. This position offers full-time benefits inclusive of medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program, paid time off, paid holidays and more as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.