Corporate Accountant, Payroll
Reports to: Finance Director, Headquarter Accounting & Operations
Location: Kansas City, MO or US – Remote
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Corporate Accountant, Payroll, within the Finance department is primarily responsible for reviewing, coordinating, and executing payroll and compliance activities for Water.org’s U.S. multi-state and international payroll and accounting. As such, this individual will partner with the Human Resources department to optimize and execute processes that allow Water.org to scale and provide input on business changes, which will directly guide the global accounting function.
Reporting to the Finance Director, Headquarter Accounting & Operations, this individual work with other members of the Headquarter Accounting & Operations team to ensure timely and accurate recording of information, compliance with established standards, procedures, and applicable laws, such as monthly reconciliation processes, preparation of the organization’s 990 tax schedules and other financial reporting.
Payroll Coordination and Oversight (70%)
Manage implementation of payroll processes, ensuring compliance with current policies, ensuring any payment made meets organizational and accounting requirements and standards, including, but not limited to:
- In collaboration with the Finance Director, Headquarter Accounting & Operations, oversee and perform semi-monthly operations to ensure the U.S. payroll is completed accurately and on-time.
- Ensure compliance with U.S. federal, state, and local legal requirements for each jurisdiction in which we have employees, through understanding of existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; and advising management on necessary actions.
- Partner with the Director, International Finance to review current global payroll procedures and collaborate on recommendations and process improvements to establish best practices.
- Partner with the Director, International Finance to monitor and review global payroll accounts and associated reconciliations to verify accuracy and prepare appropriate corrections and/or journal entries for month end; record transactions as required.
- Partner with HR to ensure the processing of new hires, transfers, promotions, and terminations are accurate and timely.
- Respond to payroll inquiries and requests from staff and other internal and external users of payroll data. Researches and troubleshoots payroll discrepancies and resolves any payroll related issues.
- Resolves any issues related to payroll tax payments and reviews annual W-2 tax documents for accurate reporting prior to distribution.
- Collaborates and communicates actively with Human Resources on cross-departmental initiatives and objectives.
- Stays current on payroll system to achieve alignment with Human Resources to ensure effective payroll and accounting support.
- Monitors and maintains paid time-off and benefit accruals.
Corporate Accounting (30%)
- Collaborate with Global Finance team to ensure timely monthly closing of general ledger, including assisting in the reviewing and approving of journal entries.
- Assist with the execution of annual audit and preparation of audit and tax return work papers, such as 990 tax schedules.
- Collaborate with other Global Finance team members to support department accounting controls and processes to meet overall goals and objectives.
- Serve as a back up for accounts payable, bank and investment reconciliation processes, and T&E processing function, as needed.
- May support ad hoc working groups and/or projects, as needed.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of scope, stakeholders and linkages for every project, duty or responsibility but is intended to highlight internal or external processes, functions and jobs/roles that are expected to regularly interact with this position to deliver work. Scope may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Financial Acumen – Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field and/or related equivalent working experience.
- At least five years of professional general accounting experience including:
- Proficient with financial accounting standards, principles, and methodologies.
- Proficient with payroll accounting, including proven experience overseeing multi-state payroll processing.
- Impeccable integrity and ability to maintain the confidential nature of the information by protecting the privacy of our employees and their records.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of labor and payroll tax laws and regulations
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, proficient Excel, and database management.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills and are able to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships, and to deal tactfully and courteously when explaining the functions and policies relative to the payroll process.
- Proficiency in English (written and verbal).
- Experience with payroll related software and applications, such as ADP, Paychex, Paylocity, as well as Concur payables and Travel & Entertainment processes.
- Strongly prefer experience with HR system migration.
- Financial Edge general ledger software experience.
- Up to 5% of domestic travel.
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers country-specific benefits and market-based, competitive salary; as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.