Development Operations and Planning Manager
Reports to: Chief Revenue Officer
Location: US Remote
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible, and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Development Operations and Planning Manager works across departments to lead operational strategies to support and achieve fundraising goals. The primary role of this position is to manage and develop infrastructure and oversight of fundraising-related operations. The Development Operations and Planning Manager serves as a key strategic partner in supporting and executing fundraising strategies through the oversight and development of core Division operations, including data management, gift processing, donor engagement, grant management and donor relations, prospect research, and operational planning. The manager supports and oversees monthly revenue metrics, donor analysis, reporting, research, and process improvements to support decision-making, goal development, and revenue generation. This position oversees the Development Operations team.
This position's primary location is in the Kansas City area. It is also open to remote in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Kansas and Washington, DC.
Managing Development Operations and Development Operations Team (80%)
- Manage the core Division operations including gift processing, donation collections, donor receipts/acknowledgments, monthly revenue metrics, projections and budget, donor analysis, and reconciliations, and maintain the integrity of donor and contributed income records management.
- Oversee maintenance of the CRM system and fundraising data (Raiser’s Edge to be transitioned to SalesForce) including gift processing for operating, program, capital gifts, and grants.
- Oversee and support the development of prospect research, pipeline development, and portfolio management.
- Develop and oversee automated acknowledgements. Provide strategy, data analysis, segmentation, and support for fundraising activities including campaigns, initiatives, portfolio development, and goals.
- Provide support, as needed, on the Direct/Prospect Mail program to ensure fundraising goals are met.
- Collaborate with vendors to perform data modelling analysis on donor database to identify “best donor” qualities to support prospect list purchases of donors who have similar qualities.
- Oversee creation, implementation, and delivery of timely strategic metrics which serve as a dashboard of indicators for fundraising progress. Model use of metrics to document fundraising progress towards goals.
- Build portfolios and provide a dashboard of portfolio revenue goals and reporting to allow for greater accuracy of reports as well as more transparency and accountability for fundraising staff.
- Oversee and support monthly revenue projections and reforecasts and budgeting processes (working with Strategic Development and Finance team members) that support organizational and departmental metrics including monitoring and reporting to Senior Management.
- Maintain donor documentation and retention of paper and electronic records related to contributions.
- Track and file multi-year pledge documentation and use working knowledge of and ensure adherence to systems/controls and established auditor standards.
- Oversee creation, implementation, and delivery of dashboards and other data reports to provide insights for revenue channels contributing to the Marketing team. Data insights will serve as indicators of progress and success of marketing strategies in tracking towards internal goals.
Collaborate across the organization (20%)
- Participate in the improvement and development of pre-award and grants management processes and collaborate with teams across the organization.
- Train CRM users and implement improvements based on feedback.
- Serve as liaison with Finance to ensure accuracy of gift/donation records and deposits in Financial Edge by performing monthly and cumulative revenue reconciliations. Respond to revenue auditor requests.
- Remain current in required and voluntary training in order to promote growth of mind, spirit, and character values for all.
- Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates.
- Positions supervised include: Donor Relations Manager, CRM Administrator, and Donor Database Specialist
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Directs Work – Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Manages Conflict – Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required; years of experience equivalency considered.
- 10+ years of work experience in development operations and in fundraising database management.
- 3 years of people management experience.
- Proficiency in English (written and verbal)
- Excellent CRM database skills and experience (Raiser’s Edge, RE NXT, Crystal Reports and Salesforce, SharePoint)
- Proven success, as evidenced by progressive advancement, in increasingly responsible development or management roles.
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal communication skills
- Project management skills, including planning, budgeting, and the ability to balance multiple tasks and projects while delivering quality work on schedule.
- Demonstrated experience engaging with donors or external clients to provide customer support.
- Proven track record of process improvement and design
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Up to 20% of travel.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits inclusive of medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program; as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.