Development Operations and Planning Manager
Reports to: Chief Revenue Officer
Location: Kansas City, MO
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible, and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For 30 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Development Operations and Planning Manager works across departments to lead operational strategies to support achievement of fundraising goals. The primary role of this position is to manage the core Division operations including CRM, gift processing, donation collections, donor receipts/acknowledgements, monthly revenue metrics and donor analysis, reconciliations, projections and budgeting, grants management and maintaining integrity of donor and contributed income and records management. This position oversees the Development Operations team.
The Development Operations and Planning Manager is based in Kansas City, MO.
- Manage the core Division operations including gift processing, donation collections, donor receipts/acknowledgements, monthly revenue metrics, projections and budget, and donor analysis, reconciliations and maintain integrity of donor and contributed income and records management.
- Oversee development of the CRM system (Raiser’s Edge to be transitioned to SalesForce) including gift processing for operating, program, capital gifts and grants.
- Participate in pre-award and grants management processes and collaborate with teams across the organization.
- Manage automated acknowledgments for various campaigns and draft/edit personalized acknowledgements. Duties include the accurate entry of data for donor and prospect records, and the productions of lists and reports.
- Provide support for fundraising activities including annual campaigns, cultivation and special events.
- Provide support, as needed, on the Direct/Prospect Mail program to ensure fundraising goals are met.
- Collaborate with vendors to perform data modelling analysis on donor database to identify “best donor” qualities to support prospect list purchases of donors who have similar qualities.
- Oversee creation, implementation and delivery of timely strategic metrics which serve as a dashboard of indicators for fundraising progress; model use of metrics to document fundraising progress towards goals.
- Build portfolios and provide a dashboard of portfolio revenue goals and reporting to allow for greater accuracy of reports as well as more transparency and accountability for fundraising staff.
- Oversee and maintain monthly revenue projections, reforecasts, and budgeting processes (working with Development, Finance team members) that support organizational and departmental metrics monitoring and reporting to Senior Management.
- Serve as liaison with Finance to ensure accuracy of gift/donation records and deposits in Financial Edge by performing monthly and cumulative revenue reconciliations; Responds to revenue auditor requests.
- Maintain donor documentation and retention of paper and electronic records related to contributions.
- Responsible for tracking and documenting multi-year pledges while adhering to system controls and established auditors’ standards.
- Remain current in required and voluntary training in order to promote growth of mind, spirit, and character values for all.
Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required; years experience equivalency considered.
- 5-7 years of work experience in development operations and in fundraising database management.
- Proven success, as evidenced by progressive advancement, in increasingly responsible development or management roles.
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal communication skills
- Project management skills, including planning, budgeting, and the ability to balance multiple tasks and projects while delivering quality work on schedule.
- Demonstrated experience engaging with donors or external clients to provide customer support.
- Proven track record of process improvement and design
Up to 0% of Select Expected Location travel.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.