Donor Database Specialist
Location: Kansas City, MO
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible, and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Donor Database Specialist within the Global Finance department is responsible for recording incoming gift processing, donor transaction and interaction support, database management and reporting. Collaboration is required across Finance and Fundraising departments to ensure gift processing and database processes are effective and efficient. This professional position takes direction from senior management and translates these directions into working practice. The Donor Database Specialist will assist with special projects as they require database support for ad-hoc reporting, data exportation, tracking, and reconciliation. This individual will be key in implementing and optimizing Salesforce for fundraising efforts at Water.org.
The position requires project coordination and support skills, time management focus, problem solving, analytical skills, self-starter qualities and effective communication with individuals at all levels of the organization.
The Donor Database Specialist is based in Kansas City, MO.
Gift Processing (70%)
- Perform day-to-day gift processing, data entry, and importing for gifts received (check batches, online website, stock, third-party websites, wire transfers, and fundraising events).
- Create and send receipts for all appropriate gifts after gift entry.
- Support in the review, mapping, streamlining, and documentation of gift processes by following industry best practices for the fundraising database/CRM, Raiser’s Edge (soon to be Salesforce).
- Responsible for completing workplace and matching giving applications/renewals and annual updates as required.
- Oversee the annual State Charitable Solicitation Registrations process on an annual basis with the support of a third party processing the paperwork.
Donor Transaction Support (10%)
- Monitor the Donor Care email inbox, address any transactional inquiries (updating credit card information, receipt requests, etc.) from donors with a customer focused mind.
- Monitor the Donor Care telephone line, answer all donor questions, process donor requests, and redirect phone calls to the appropriate department as needed.
Database Management (10%)
- Performs specific data hygiene (clean-up) activities to improve CRM data. Ex. Address Accelerator and Duplicate Management
- Develop regular reporting and dashboards to inform stakeholders of processed gifts.
- Utilize the reporting and query functions of the CRM to provide Annual Tax Statements for donors.
- Aid in providing statistical data required for monitoring goals across departments.
- Prepare special queries on an ad-hoc basis for analysis and/or issue triage.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear. • Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- HS Diploma required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred; years’ experience equivalency considered.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ professional experience in a business office environment including customer service and data reporting.
- Demonstrated experience with data collection, handling mixed data and strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft 365 and database management.
- Intermediate knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and/or Salesforce donor management software or similar CRM strongly preferred and prioritized.
- Demonstrated experience engaging with donors or external clients to provide customer support.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Up to 0% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.