Financial Planning and Analysis Analyst
Reports to: Sr. Business Analyst
Location: Kansas City, MO or US – Remote
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Financial Planning and Analysis Analyst updates and maintains the Water.org forecast, assists with budget preparation, and prepares ad-hoc reporting as requested. This individual will own publishing monthly reporting as assigned and showcase performance against organizational goals and objectives.
The Financial Planning and Analysis Analyst analyzes data for trends, issues, and opportunities with an eye toward providing actionable business insights. This individual will be expected to maintain successful relationships with organizational leaders and budget managers and support the Financial Planning and Analysis leadership/CFO. The Financial Planning and Analysis analyst handles complex analysis in situations that may be broadly defined or technical, requiring careful analysis and coordination with the accounting staff to uphold federal, state, global, and organizational rules, regulations, and policies.
The Financial Planning and Analysis Analyst may be based in Kansas City, MO or Remote.
Water.org Forecast Updates & Maintenance (80%)
- Updates monthly forecast for Water.org planning software, receives forecast data from the various teams, and ensures it’s timely and accurate entry/upload into Adaptive/PowerBI or future Financial Planning and Analysis software packages.
- Prepares, reviews, and distributes monthly financial reports to budget managers, which track expenses and revenues vs. budget/re-forecast, and dissects fluctuations.
- Provides relevant and accurate reporting and analysis of the performance results against historical trends, budget, forecast and strategic plans that will be used to help drive management decisions as to any course correction or adjustments.
- Under the overall direction and guidance of Financial Planning and Analysis Leadership, assists in formation of the annual budget and forecast process and maintains this information in Adaptive/Finance Systems.
- Maintains and develops various financial models and standard templates to be used by the Global Finance team to ensure quality, accuracy, and focused analytic reviews.
- Conducts variance analysis, tracking by fund type, utilization tracking, and creating trend reports for budget to actuals analysis through the year.
Ad-Hoc Analysis and Data Maintenance as Needed (20%)
- Gathers data for and prepares budgetary, statistical, reconciliation and other requested reports for departmental and organizational leadership.
- Evaluates profit and cost efficiencies in various areas of the organization as needed.
- Develops, maintains, and distributes as-hoc reports and financial models as needed.
- Demonstrates appropriate understanding of accounting principles and internal controls and applies them.
- Supports the annual audit process through the preparation of financial information.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Balances Stakeholders – Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or another related field required.
- 3-5 years of experience in reporting and financial analysis.
- Experience in a globally focused role or within a global organization highly preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of Accounting best practices and with GAAP.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, advanced Excel and database management.
- Power BI competency a plus.
- Experience utilizing accounting systems required. Experience in Financial Edge, QuickBooks and Adaptive Insights is preferred.
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual thinking skills.
- Ability to influence and work closely with others to determine acceptable solutions.
- Experience in creating detailed reports; excellent documentation skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and manage various project elements simultaneously.
Up to 5% of domestic travel.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.