Global Lead, Infrastructure
Reports to: Global Director, Business Development
Location: Bangladesh, India, Kenya, Peru, Philippines, or Cambodia
SRI Executive has been retained by Water.org to conduct a search for a suitably qualified individual to undertake the position of Global Lead Infrastructure. If you wish to be considered for this position, please apply on the SRI website or forward a copy of your CV and a supporting letter in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation at [email protected] on or before the 25th of May, 2022. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application. Thank you for your interest and we will reply to you as soon as feasible upon reviewing your application and if it is found to be aligned by Water.org requirements.
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Global Lead, Infrastructure within the Business Development team of the Global Impact (GI) Department is responsible for designing and delivering a differentiated set of infrastructure products and services that drive Water.org’s value creation as a social enterprise. She/he/they support market development for Water Supply and Sanitation (WSS) finance within the newly formed Infrastructure line of business by leveraging her/his/their deep knowledge of client and market needs to augment the product vision, strategy, and roadmap that translates into viable business opportunities and year-over-year growth.
The Global Lead, Infrastructure will bring the ability to both operate at a strategic level and dive deep into tactical complexity to address the following objectives of the GI organization:
- Work with Global Director, Business Development to organize and stand up our emerging infrastructure business line and develop a business line strategy that is closely aligned with organizational strategy.
- Lead the development and management of a robust portfolio of infrastructure-oriented products and services that create lasting value for business line partners.
- Support integration and uniting of the infrastructure business line across regions
- Support generation of innovative solutions among service provider partnerships. These partnerships are designed to improve financial and operational capacity of these institutions and facilitate financial linkages that mobilize additional capital to extend and improve WSS services among those living in poverty.
- Finally, the Lead will also build and deepen relationships with global stakeholders (e.g., development finance institutions, technical assistance providers, other NGOs, etc.). This includes collaborating with our sister organization, WaterEquity, an asset manager investing in water and sanitation in emerging markets.
The primary focus of this role will be publicly owned and operated utilities, as well as select private utilities that are not strong candidates for direct investment by WaterEquity. The role will collaborate with other positions at Water.org, which are responsible for leading partnerships with privately run utilities and corporates that are strong candidates for investment by WaterEquity.
Business Line Strategy Development + Execution (25%)
- In collaboration with the Global Director, Business Development, Regional Directors and Regional business line teams, lead development and execution of short and long-term growth strategies for the infrastructure business line.
- Assess and analyze market data, technology, and industry trends to define prioritized expansion opportunities for business line. This includes coordinated deployment of technical support and services across potential capital markets and investors, with a focus on supporting the needs of WaterEquity.
- Identify, align, and implement opportunities for innovation and expansion of existing strategically aligned products and services, including designing global framework for new relevant revenue streams.
- Oversee regular analysis and knowledge capture of learning from strategic execution.
- As directed or as needed, facilitate cross-cutting coordination amongst business lines and functions to ensure clarity on scope and responsibilities.
- Ensure aligned, coordinated approach across global team to develop business and track pipeline.
- Contribute to robust information and knowledge sharing among business line teams.
- Provide leadership and support in creating frameworks for monitoring, reporting, and benchmarking impact within infrastructure partnerships
- Define and implement business standards, frameworks, and platform critical to meeting strategic objectives and organizational business performance metrics.
- Lead exploration and development of climate and water resilience opportunities within infrastructure financing arena in partnership with WaterEquity.
Product + Service Management (30%)
In collaboration with Global Director, Business Development, Regional Directors, and regional business line leads, formalize and expand new infrastructure products and services within business line and prioritized growth areas, including (but not limited to):
- Establishing product strategy and roadmap to define optimized targets for expansion (geographies, channels and/or segments).
- Defining, understanding, and improving key product and business metrics.
- Formulating an infrastructure product and services catalog
- Supporting the evaluation and screening of innovation, including cross-functional collaboration on capturing key insights
- Optimizing product and service performance based on partner/client feedback and other data.
- Ensuring integration of product, service, and process standards within business line.
- Integrating new intervention frameworks and tools within business line.
Technical + Delivery Support (25%)
- Partner with Regional Business Line Leads and Regional Directors to identify technical expertise required to address gaps during the start-up and expansion phases of new product development at regional level.
- Develop partnership models that engage infrastructure service providers and related stakeholders (e.g., financial institutions, government entities, etc.) in close collaboration with regional teams, other Water.org lines of business, WaterEquity, and external consultants.
- Define key domain knowledge and technical skills required for effective product and service delivery and work with Regional Directors and Learning team to develop training and other forms of professional development, as needed.
- Develop and deploy network of experts (internal or external) to support needs related to product and service delivery.
- Assess gaps and address solutions for current technical capacity within business line, including but not limited to overseeing external experts engaged to deliver and/or support critical business activities.
- Oversee design and build-out global collateral, resources, training, and platforms that create value and foster effective partnership assistance.
- External Relationships and Thought Leadership 10%
- Foster global and/or regional relationships, where appropriate, that can facilitate, expand, and strengthen infrastructure partnerships in the regions
- Advise and support Revenue teams in order to secure new funding for service delivery to infrastructure partners
- Engage in thought leadership activities that enhance Water.org’s presence and generate new avenues for engagement in the infrastructure and WSS financing areas.
Team Leadership (10%)
- Manage planning, operations, and budgets associated with line of business
- Supervise initially one staff member (Utility Service Expert). Responsible for hiring, management, and pay administration of direct reports.
- Also matrixed reporting with Regional Infrastructure Lead positions into this role.
- Supervises work of others.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer- centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Cultivates Innovation – Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Business Insight – Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
- Builds Networks – Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization with partners, donors, and complimentary peers and organizations.
- Directs Work – Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Manages Conflict – Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Develops Talent – Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Plans and Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Strategic Mindset – Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Builds Effective Teams – Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Being Resilient – Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Courage – Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher. Master’s degree preferred.
- 15+ years of previous professional experience in the water and sanitation sector.
- Experience with water and sanitation service providers and infrastructure financing and management, including partnerships engaging with these institutions, preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of water and sanitation service providers and infrastructure is required; technical and managerial experience with water and sanitation service providers and/or institutions financing these entities is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience managing professionals and building capacity within teams.
- 7+ years of experience driving growth of products and services from launch phase to scaled adoption including:
- Ability to set a strategy and translate to a roadmap with end-to-end execution.
- Proven track record of building infrastructure-related financial solutions and/or platforms and taking them from launch to scale.
- Ability to grasp complex technical concepts and system-designs, comfortable participating in technical discussions and help make technical trade-offs.
- Strong experience in strategy development and operational execution for impact.
- Ability to provide strategic guidance to lines of business and technical expertise to disparate teams in the WSS arena.
- Ability to generate and deepen meaningful partnerships across the development finance and WSS infrastructure landscapes.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills including ability to paint a compelling vision to inspire teams and senior leaders by articulating and building business models and supporting roadmaps.
- Ability to articulate and represent the water and sanitation sector and Water.org’s presence in the sector effectively, including the ability to discuss the challenges of WSS sector reforms and to respectfully champion needed changes within the sector.
- Ability to assess and identify risks and benefits of trends, market opportunities, partnerships, and interventions across Water.org geographic markets.
- Expertise and passion for exploring innovations in WSS finance as a social enterprise.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multicultural, multinational, and remote/virtual environment.
- Highly effective cross-functional collaboration and partnership skills
- Superior project management and interpersonal skills
- Natural tendency to be curious, positive, and creative
- Proficient in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint, Power BI, et.).
- Language(s): English required. Spanish and/or other languages also desired.
- Up to 25% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers country-specific benefits and market-based, competitive salary; as well as periodic review for merit-based salary increases and/or variable incentive-based rewards dependent upon both organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.