Head of Legal
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: US Remote
Effective: Jan. 31, 2024
1 in 4 people around the world lack access to safe water and 2 in 5 people don’t have access to a safe toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empower a bright future that we can all share, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Head of Legal plans and directs the organization's legal, regulatory, and corporate governance matters in close collaboration with internal and external stakeholders to ensure business activities are managed in compliance with current laws, including those applicable to a tax-exempt company. The incumbent in this position will oversee ongoing legal services, manage work with outside legal counsel, oversee a team, and guide decisions and resources to align with the company’s goals, mission, and business needs. The Head of Legal will partner with counterparts in the group entities.
- Legal planning + implementation oversight
- Legal services + corporate governance
- Strategic + executive advisory support
- External resource management
Serves as a strategic advisor to the Executive Team, the Water.org group entities, and Board of Directors. Possesses a broad organizational mindset, legal expertise, and business judgment. Assists or represents the organization in business negotiations and other matters.
Legal Services + Corporate Governance
Provides legal advice and consultation on compliance, governance, and legal management matters. Oversees and/or facilitates legal services, such as filings, applications, agreements, registrations, contracts, policies, and other legal management documents, ensuring that all services meet business needs and legal requirements. Structures and supervises outside counsel and other third-party resources to meet legal and/or organizational requirements.
Ensures effective planning and deployment of the department’s resources. Drives key operational improvements and projects in line with legal and internal policy requirements.
Challenges and maximizes the strength of team members by aligning their efforts to meet objectives and deliver results. Fosters productive cross-functional collaboration to ensure cohesive effort and delivery of business outcomes.
Complexity + Problem Solving Skills
- Ability to quickly digest complex information and connect dots to determine future action.
- Ability to “zoom in” and “zoom out”; rollup sleeves to understand underlying details and still maintain a view of the big picture and guide executive-level decisions and communications.
- Uses a broad range of legal expertise and current knowledge to advise management on any legal or regulatory impacts to the business.
- Ability to convey complex concepts and detailed analysis into practical and insightful presentations to reach diverse audiences.
- Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates. Supervised positions include, but not limited to: Contracts Administrator
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by an incumbent in this job. Some responsibilities, activities, and people who are expected to regularly interact with the incumbent in this job may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Values Differences – Recognizes the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Strategic Mindset – Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
- Ensures Accountability – Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Builds Effective Teams – Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Instills Trust – Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school.
- Ten years or more of legal experience in U.S. corporate and/or contract law.
- Professional experience with tax-exempt organizations.
- Proficient (written and verbal) in English.
- Up to 10% of domestic and international travel
This position's primary location is in the Kansas City area. It is also open to remote in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Washington DC.
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Type and Estimated Length of Employment
Salary and Benefits
This position offers a base salary range of $165k-$200k. In addition, this position is eligible to participate in our annual incentive plan up to 20%. This position offers full-time benefits inclusive of medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program, paid time off, paid holidays and more as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.