Insights Lead, Africa Region
Reports to: Global Lead, Insights
Location: Africa - Kenya
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empower a bright future that we can all share worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Insights Lead, Africa Region, within the Insights department is primarily responsible for enhancing and implementing Water.org’s global Insights practices and initiatives within the region across the measurement and audit, impact intelligence, and insight generation service areas. Additionally, this individual will act as the first point of escalation for identified risks and challenges within Water.org’s policies and processes related to data quality and governance.
Reporting to the Global Lead, Insights, this position will lead implementation of critical Insights functions of the Africa region as well as contribute to the Insights function globally, as applicable. This includes building a credible evidence base for the region, ensuring that it is relevant and actionable. Doing so successfully will inform, guide, and enhance Water.org’s impact and will effectively position the organization as a thought leader and to deliver its unique value to partners and diverse stakeholders.
This position will consistently exhibit effective collaboration, customer focus and impeccable integrity to build and sustain effective partnership across and within multiple regional and global functions. As the regional Insights team grows, it is expected that the function will further build out insight generation, deeper analytics, knowledge management, and innovation services.
Expected initial results include:
- Ensuring the region has a credible and relevant evidence base.
- Ensuring integration within the regional business lines and operations, with clear roles and responsibilities to operate an effective and lean Regional Insights function.
- Measurement frameworks and policies are in place and implemented.
- Data quality and timeliness is consistent, reliable, and verified.
- Evidence is relevant and informs decision-making and fosters thought leadership and a ‘fail fast’ culture as we iterate to address barriers.
- Regional GI Insight needs are processed and addressed based on business needs/priorities.
Measurement and Audit (45%)
- Oversees the region’s impact integrity through participating in the design and leading the implementation of impact governance (guidelines, processes, and tools) that meet Water.org’s minimum standards across each line of business.
- Collaborates with the Global Insight and Region’s Global Impact team members to develop and implement theories of change and performance measurement plans, including managing monitoring, evaluation, and learning frameworks that are tailored to specific initiatives and lines of business.
- Acts as strategic partner to business line functions to highlight execution challenges, trade offs, and opportunities based on impact data, analytics, and insights.
- Leads the design, planning, and implementation of region-wide program monitoring visits to verify impact, working closely with partnership and intervention leads.
- Designs and implements regional impact reviews, assessments, and research & evaluations initiatives across a variety of methods, including outcome harvesting.
- Hires and manages 3rd parties to conduct verification visits, assessments, research & evaluations.
- Provides regional Global Impact team training and support, including research expertise.
- Acts as strategic and/or technical resource to related Insights projects and initiatives.
Impact Intelligence (45%)
- Leads tracking and analysis of the region’s impact and partnership data; Ensures information is timely, complete, readily available, and accurate to report upon indicators relevant to Water.org and external stakeholders, including donors.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of Water.org’s impact management information systems.
- Serves as a system champion to support and trains regional staff on the organization’s impact management information systems, including servicing and processing requests to enhance systems.
- Performs basic impact analytics and prepares impact reports for internal and external needs, including dashboard creation and management.
- Acts as strategic and/or technical resource to related Insights projects and initiatives.
Insight Generation + Revenue Support (10%)
- Leads or contributes toward the design, implementation, and dissemination of knowledge products applicable to regional activities.
- Supports Revenue team requests including grant proposal development and donor / stakeholder impact reporting.
- Manages Insight budgets and deliverables pertaining to grants and internal funding requests at regional level.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of scope, stakeholders and linkages for every project, duty or responsibility but is intended to highlight internal or external processes, functions and jobs/roles that are expected to regularly interact with this position to deliver work. Scope may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Optimizes Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Manages Conflict – Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
- Courage – Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, economics, social sciences, international development, or relevant field and/or equivalent related work experience
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in measurement frameworks, monitoring and evaluation, research, statistics, data systems and analytics, survey development and deployment.
- 2 or more years of experience leading monitoring and evaluation functions, including:
- Subject matter expertise with research design and sampling frameworks.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with data management technology platforms, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Experience with data decision and descriptive analytics.
- Demonstrated experience leading multiple projects, with proven track record of meeting assigned milestones and metrics.
- Impeccable integrity and commitment to upholding global business and technical standards.
- Proficient (written and verbal) in English.
- Fluency in statistical software, such as STATA, SPSS, Python, etc.
- Outstanding people skills, including ability to work well with those from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Previous experience working with/coordinating with 3rd party consultants and/or vendors.
- Program management experience is a plus.
- Proficiency (written and verbal) in other languages is a plus.
Up to 25% of domestic and global travel.
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers country-specific benefits and market-based, competitive salary; as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.