Mexico Representative Consultant
Reports to: Advisory Solutions Expert
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
In Mexico, Water.org completed a market assessment to gauge demand and need for WaterCredit at a country level in September 2017. In 2018, Water.org signed its first agreement with an apex organization and aims at continuing to develop WSS loan products in the country.
The Mexico Representative Consultant will be required to maintain frequent interaction with counterparts in financial institutions and WSS suppliers such as municipal governments, district governments and WSS suppliers. Travel within Mexico will be required to accomplish the responsibilities of this assignment. She/he will report to the Advisory Solutions Expert based in the USA. This person will also work closely with the Senior Financial Sector Specialist based in the USA.
The Mexico Representative Consultant is based in Mexico.
The Mexico Representative Consultant will be responsible for the following objectives
- Disseminate results of WaterCredit market assessment to potential stakeholders
- Network with potential Water.org partners and stakeholders to create a robust list of institutions interested in collaboration with Water.org
- Conduct due diligence on potential partners and cultivate partnerships, including project plans and budgets
- Facilitate agreements signed with new partners
- Identify training and technical assistance needs of potential stakeholders and facilitate the process of creating those materials.
- Act as a representative of Water.org in the country with stakeholders and in attending important sector events as needed
The Consultant is expected to communicate regularly with the US‐based Water.org team, and document progress toward country objectives
- Disseminate results from market assessment
- Create list of stakeholders and potential partners to target for WaterCredit implementation
- Cultivate relationships with potential partners for WaterCredit implementation
- Understand WaterCredit model and develop tools to communicate the model with potential partners
- Develop work plans and proposals for WaterCredit implementation in conjunction with partners and other stakeholders
- Represent Water.org at national and local WSS and microfinance events and in meetings with sector stakeholders and donor visits
- Identify training and technical assistance needs of potential stakeholders and facilitate the process of creating those materials. Participate in trainings as needed.
- Keep Water.org staff apprised on trends in WSS and microfinance sectors
- Engage and cooperate with sector stakeholders such as local and national government, WSS product manufacturers, water service providers and WSS NGOs operating in Mexico
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; relevant Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of ten years of experience in microfinance sector
- Familiarity with the activities required for loan product development and scaling
- Proven ability to effectively design and manage technical assistance or capacity building programs, particularly in the financial or WSS sectors
- Minimum of three years of experience managing projects and tracking activities and expenditures against work‐plan and budget
- Experience in creating strategic plans in new markets and products in new market
- Experience with donor‐funded international development initiatives
- Required native fluency in Spanish, preferred fluency in English
- Innovative mind‐set oriented toward constructive problem‐solving and collaboration with stakeholders from various sectors
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and ability to multi‐task and adjust to changing priorities
- Ability to travel within Mexico, and possibly other countries in Latin America and the United States
- Banking or financial sector consulting experience is preferred
- Experience in training staff or implementing training programs is preferred.
- Local and international travel may be required through the course of this consultancy.
- The Consultant may be a Pessoa Física or a Pessoa Jurídica and emit a Nota Fiscal or equivalent formal tax receipt, in the name of the consultant or his/her business.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.