Mexico Project Consultant
Reports to: Senior Financial Sector Specialist
Water.org is a U.S.‐based, non‐governmental organization working to increase access to water supply and sanitation (WSS). Since 1990, Water.org has been implementing WSS programs in conjunction with local NGOs and financial institutions (FIs). Water.org has significantly expanded its WaterCredit initiative over the last several years, which works by building the capacity of carefully‐selected local financial institutions and apex organizations to offer affordable financing for WSS facilities. Partner institutions develop and launch loan products to finance household level facilities such as toilets and water tanks. WaterCredit programs support FIs and apex organizations through a combination of financial assistance and technical support, or solely technical support.
In Mexico Water.org completed a market assessment to gauge demand and need for WaterCredit at a country level in September 2017. In 2018, Water.org signed its first agreement with an apex organization to implement the first WaterCredit program in the country, and in 2020 it signed its second and third ones with some of the largest inclusive finance organizations in the country. In 2021, Water.org aims at continuing to develop further partnerships to continue expanding the offer of WSS loan products in the country.
Scope of Services
The Water.org Mexico Project Consultant will be responsible for the following objectives:
- Support the operations of Water.org in Mexico and its partners including: weekly check-ins, assisting with training sessions, creating tools and materials and sharing with both current and prospective new partners as needed
- Network with potential Water.org partners and stakeholders to create a robust list of institutions interested in collaboration with Water.org
- Conduct due diligence on potential partners and support Water.org to cultivate new partnerships, including project plans and budgets
- Identify training and technical assistance needs of our stakeholders in the country and facilitate the process of creating those materials
- Conduct monthly performance reports for projects in the country to demonstrate impact as defined by grant standards and specific project deliverables. Provide data/input as needed to Water.org teams on the status of our projects in Mexico for donor reports.
- Understand the WaterCredit model and develop tools to communicate the model with potential partners
- Develop work plans and proposals for WaterCredit implementation in conjunction with new partners and other relevant stakeholders
- Represent Water.org at national and local WSS and microfinance events and in meetings with sector stakeholders and donor visits, as needed
- Identify training and technical assistance needs of current stakeholders and facilitate the process of creating and delivering those materials. Participate in trainings as needed.
- Support the execution of Water.org’s list of current projects in Mexico with specific tasks and responsibilities assigned for each project
The primary point of contact within Water.org is the Senior Financial Sector Specialist based in the USA. The consultant will also work closely with the Latin American Regional Teams based in the USA, Brazil and Peru.
The assignment will require frequent interaction with counterparts in financial institutions and WSS suppliers such as municipal governments, district governments and WSS suppliers. Travel within Mexico will be required to accomplish the responsibilities of this assignment.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, economics, anthropology, international relations or related field required; relevant Master’s degree preferred but not required
- Minimum of five years of experience working in related activities is required. Experience in the Financial Inclusion or Water sectors is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with microfinance and/or WSS is preferred but not required
- Familiarity with the activities required for loan product development and scaling a plus
- Proven ability to effectively design and manage technical assistance or capacity building programs, particularly in the financial or WSS sectors
- Minimum of three years of experience managing projects and tracking activities and expenditures against work‐plan and budget
- Experience in creating strategic plans in new markets and products in new market a plus
- Experience with donor‐funded international development initiatives a plus
- Experience in product development and Human-Centered Design (HCD) a strong plus
- Required native fluency in Spanish, preferred fluency in English
- Innovative mind‐set oriented toward constructive problem‐solving and collaboration with stakeholders from various sectors
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and ability to multi‐task and adjust to changing priorities
- Ability to travel within Mexico, and possibly other countries in Latin America and the United States, as needed.
It will be an advantage for the consultant to also have:
- Banking or financial sector consulting experience
- Experience in training staff or implementing training programs
The assignment will be remunerated on a time plus expenses basis on delivery and acceptance of outputs by the Senior Financial Sector Specialist. Requests for payment should be made at the end of each calendar month.
The consultancy assignment will be for 12 months, and is expected to start on August 15, 2021. Upon satisfactory performance and continued funding, this assignment may be extended.
Consultants interested in this opportunity should submit information about their relevant qualifications, experience and fee requirements to [email protected]. Water.org will review information as it is received and will reach out to qualified parties to learn more. Candidates must be legally registered as “Personas Físicas con Actividades Empresariales y Profesionales” in compliance with Mexican Fiscal Law and be prepared to submit electronic invoices for services performed each month in order to be considered for this position.