MIS Project Manager
Reports to: Senior Manager of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: June 7, 2017
663 million people – about one in ten – lack access to safe water. 2.4 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering innovative, sustainable solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future. Visit us to find out more at http://water.org/.
The primary purpose of this role is to manage Water.org’s program information, serving as the main project manager of MIS platforms, manage the global MIS training program, conduct data analysis, and provide ongoing technical support and ensure timeliness and accuracy of data within the platforms.
MIS Project Management & Training (60%)
- Lead project management of WaterPortal and mWater MIS platforms, including understanding of user needs, developing user stories, managing platform priorities, documenting and collecting user needs, working with the Sr. Software Developer throughout the course of a project, testing new developments and more.
- Provide vision and direction for MIS platforms to ensure that they effectively and efficiently grow with organizational needs while keeping a good positive user experience.
- Conduct all employee trainings on the WaterPortal and mWater platforms, as well as the introductory MEL training for each new staff member.
- Manage the creation and distribution of training materials (PDFs, PPTs, videos, etc.) for the WaterPortal and mWater.
- Train MIS Champions within country offices and providing on-going training and support as changes occur to keep them up-to-date on the platforms.
- Troubleshoot technical issues that staff report upon from Water.org’s MIS.
- Provide ongoing technical support for the WaterPortal and mWater platforms to all staff.
Data Governance, Analysis, and Reporting (30%):
- Work with IP team members in the U.S. and international offices to ensure the quality, timeliness, and relevance of Water.org program data.
- Perform regular data quality checks in Water.org’s MIS, the WaterPortal and mWater.
- Analyze program data, producing statistical analysis and data insights.
- Fulfill the reporting needs of the organization through a quarterly program update and ongoing data pulls and data analysis as requested.
- Research, review, and update annual data sources including global water and sanitation statistics and facts.
MEL governance and processes (10%):
- Support the management and development of MEL guidelines, processes, and tools that govern minimum practices and standards across Water.org programs.
- Support the development and management of Water.org’s metrics, indicators, and data analysis practices.
- Support MEL team coordination
- Acts in capacity of a “lead person.” Does not have management responsibility for the people to whom they provide work direction.
- Make recommendations to Senior Manager regarding monitoring and evaluation practices and MIS platforms.
- Coordinate regularly with MIS Champions in country offices.
- Make recommendations to Senior Software Developer regarding changes to WaterPortal.
- Has authority and decision making on projects and activities managed.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s preferred
- Minimum of three years’ experience in project management or business analysis experience
- Knowledge and experienced in working with databases, MIS / mobile / data platforms
- Experience with training and training modules
- Experience conducting trainings on technology/software or MIS platforms
- Data analysis and visualizations
- Experience with statistical queries
- Fluency with data management and analysis tools
- International development experience
- Past experience working directly with software developers, a plus
This position will require travel occasionally to Water.org locations and places of interest, approximately 10% of time.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.