Program Manager – Banking Partnerships (Independent Contractor)
Reports to: Senior Programs Manager
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For 30 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
Thus far, we have reached more than 38 million people in 17 countries with water and sanitation solutions. In Bangladesh, we have positively transformed more than 4.15 million lives by mobilizing capital of more than $266 million.
Currently, Water.org Bangladesh is directly supporting Microfinance Institutions (MFIs) as partners through grants and technical assistance to provide affordable financing for water and sanitation solutions. We call this program “WaterCredit” since our work enables water and sanitation loans through which borrowers can create water and sanitation assets such as tube wells, latrines, etc. Water.org is designing partnerships with commercial banks and other financial institutions to deepen the market of water and sanitation financing. As a next step, we want to support private commercial banks to provide loans for water and sanitation purposes.
Examples could include supporting SME Banking operations of banks to provide loans to water and sanitation SMEs; supporting wholesale lending by banks to MFIs so that they can in turn do retail loans in water and sanitation (our MFI partners already have existing programs).
The Program Manager-Banking Partnerships is responsible for communicating with commercial banks to launch and implement successful water and sanitation lending projects. This position acts as a subject matter resource to bank partners in topics such as program design and implementation. This position is responsible for assisting with identifying new bank partners, onboarding new partners, assisting partners with the design and startup of new programs, supporting the ongoing implementation of partner programs, troubleshooting, and program monitoring. Additionally, this position may be responsible for assisting with the development and establishment of new programmatic and operational procedures, systems and guidelines. This position reports to the Senior Programs Manager and works closely with the local and U.S.-based Water.org departments.
The Independent Contractor is based in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Program Management (50%)
- Manage ongoing and upcoming banking programs in partnership with Water.org Bangladesh and U.S.-based staff, including programs and financial management, partner development, and program monitoring and evaluation.
- Assist bank partners to identify potential sources of capital for their water and sanitation lending programs. These sources of capital could be Water.org-affiliated entities such as WaterEquity.
- Maintain relationships with bank partners and establish regular communication regarding program implementation activities.
- Provide support to bank partners by sharing best practices and assisting with problem solving when issues arise.
- Collaborate with partners to identify sources of loan capital, ensuring the ongoing viability of their water and sanitation lending portfolios and sustainability.
- Launch new programs in WaterEquity, in conjunction with regional and global WaterEquity teams. WaterEquity provides capital to financial institutions partners such as MFIs and banks so that they can conduct various lending programs related to water and sanitation.
- Maintain oversight of WaterEquity Programs and enable scale and sustainability.
- Establish routine schedules for monitoring partner programs in accordance with organizational guidelines and conducting monitoring visits and reports according to schedule.
- Responsible for maintaining regular contact with US or other country Program Managers to submit partner reports, inform about partner progress and report any issues impacting achievement of program deliverables.
Data Management (5%)
- Manage partner data and information to track program performance, enhance water and sanitation lending-activities and support the mission of Water.org.
- Outreach to commercial banks, initiate conversation to gather information regarding program design and assignment.
- Lead collection and verification of data and all-encompassing activities.
- Collaborate closely with partner organizations ensuring reporting accuracy, compliance, and timeliness.
- Subject matter expert and training liaison on the use of the WaterPortal. Upload partner data or review and approve data uploaded by partners into the WaterPortal (if applicable) and other reporting tools, as appropriate.
- Verification data accuracy during program monitoring visits.
- Report on progress timely and discuss other such business matters, as required by Water.org.
Program Design and Development (15%)
- Collaborate with banking partners (and/or MFIs) in the design of water and sanitation lending-programs, including planning and budgeting, product development, marketing, internal monitoring, and coordination with WASH stakeholders.
- Identify already existing water and sanitation clients of private commercial banks. Identify the potential market size for the aforementioned clients.
- Work with partners to determine appropriate program targets and deliverables, which are ambitious but achievable within the program period.
- Assist partners in the design of their program work plan and budget, ensuring they are allocating adequate resources and personnel for successful completion of deliverables.
- Assist partners in designing appropriate internal monitoring and evaluation protocols for the successful outcomes of their program.
Organizational Support (10%)
- Participate in assisting with the development of new tools and processes, membership on cross-functional committees as requested, and/or participation at internal or external conferences or workshops.
- Participate in cross-functional committees and working groups to support the achievement of group goals.
- Assist in the development of new tools, processes and/or procedures to gain efficiencies in the execution of work.
- Serve as a knowledge base for Water.org and represent Water.org at events and in written publications to advance the organizational mission and vision.
New Business Development (20%)
- Identify already existing water and sanitation clients of private commercial banks.
- Identify the potential market size for the aforementioned clients
- Short-list potential banks and develop a potential pipeline
- Identify ways in which Water.org can incentivize the banks to give more loans to water and sanitation clients
- Conduct talks with banks and MFI partners of Water.org to identify the scope of increasing wholesale lending by banks to MFIs, for the specific purpose of WASH.
- She/he will use her network to conduct online/offline meetings with heads of SME Banking Departments to understand needs of their client portfolios; what it would take for them to lend more WASH SMEs; what the constraints are to lending more to WASH SMEs, etc.
- Currently, banks lend to MFIs via wholesale lending so that MFIs can do agriculture loans. Identify ways to generate wholesale lending from banks to MFIs, for purposes of WASH.
- She/he will use their own network to conduct online/offline meetings with heads of SME Banking Departments to understand the needs of their client portfolios; what it would take for them to lend more WASH SMEs; what the constraints are to lending more to WASH SMEs.
- Conduct outreach among financial institutions, non-governmental organizations, product manufacturers, utilities, CBOs, apex organizations and other related organizations regarding the potential for adoption of water and sanitation lending.
- Participate in certification of new partner organizations for the onboarding and implementation of water and sanitation lending programs.
- Conduct landscape assessment and identification of additional stakeholders for potential collaboration.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Communicates Effectively – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity - Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity. Follows through on commitments; is seen as direct and truthful; keeps confidences; practices what s/he preaches; shows consistency between words and actions.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Previous experience with NGOs or international development is not a pre-requisite, if the candidate possesses prior experience and evidence of success in product and business development in the for-profit sector, with a willingness to learn in a new sector
- Master’s Degree preferred in relevant disciplines from a leading local or international university
- At least five years of relevant experience with private commercial banks will be considered a competitive advantage.
- Demonstrated proficiency in facilitation and networking to ensure collaboration and linkages between Water.org, banks, partners, donors and other stakeholders.
- Strong project management experience
- Innovative mindset oriented toward constructive problem-solving, proactive strategic development and thought leadership
- Strong desire to contribute to increased access to water and sanitation
- Must have Bangladesh citizenship or work permit.
- Fluency in Bangla and English is mandatory
Up to 25% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and Benefits
The gross salary for this position is BDT 120,000 to 150,000 per month, depending on the candidate’s experience and skills.
Experienced female candidates in the banking sector are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants are required to share an updated CV and Cover Letter to the email address: [email protected] with the subject line: Program Manager - Water.org Bangladesh. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Application deadline: September 15, 2021